SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Sap Db?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Sap Db?

I like to consider myself something of a database fan, at least being knowledgeable of the db offerings out there. I was surprised, however, to see in a newsletter that I get, an (apparently) enterprise class, open-source database that I'd never heard of. (This is no terrible shock, actually. I'm not omniscient after all )

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has heard of or had experience with SAP DB? Here's a link for the curious and just for grins, a google search.

Later all.
    Morning person by habit, not by nature.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. SAP are a client of mine. Most of their stuff is bespoke and tailored to their client though ....

G

Ps -- nice signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that SAP's products use SAP DB as a back-end and access it through its API (that keeps SAP from having to open-source EVERYTHING), but what's intriguing to me is that they took this rather robust database server and just turned it loose! It's a great idea. They probably wouldn't get too far trying to take on Oracle, DB2, Sybase and MS SQL Server by selling it, but open it up and let folks just have it, and you might garner some support business, as well as contribute to the OS community and maybe get some good developer resources to improve the product.

Another thing that's interesting is that in the comparisons I've seen between, say SAP DB and MySQL, Postgres, Interbase/Firebird, SAP DB has fared quite well. The developer community, however, is minuscule by comparison. I've developed in Oracle and MS SQL Server. I'm learning MySQL (specifically with PHP). I'd like to take on SAP DB as a potential development platform if/when I go into business, but this is no simple "plop in the CD and go" type of installation. I've yet to get it running on my Windows box and I haven't tried yet on my Linux box (it's on the list ). I've found a few resources on the web, but for the most part they are individual pages. There is a mailing list, but what would be really sweet would be a community board (ala Sitepoint forums). A friend set me up with some PHP/MySQL space so maybe I should take a crack at setting up a board with phpBB or Nuke. I just read Marc's article at http://www.promotionbase.com/article/858 and it has a few cautionary notes that give me pause, but when things settle down a bit, I may give it a go.

Anyway. Thanks for the feedback. My sig pretty much sums things up for me

B
    Morning person by habit, not by nature.