User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K

I am getting near the end of the designing my site. Hopefully after a month or so it will be content time and theres a lot !

However at the start this was going to be a small bodybuilding site, but as I built it ideas evolved and its looking more like a 50 + page site ! This is going to be too much for me to manage on my own...

So what do I do ?

There are 3 sections with 4 articles in each. Thats 12.. These will be monthly updated so thats 12 articles a month.. I also have a department section but I am hoping to attract some semi pro's to write in return for some personal training advertising for them, so that should be o.k..

Basically with 12 new articles a month plus whatever else I have in mind like competitionms etc., I need someone..

They need to know the topic and be extrememly interested in it, and from a regular forum I visit I have some people in mind.

What can I offer them though ? The only money that will be made is through advertisments and lets face it thats gonna be low.. Also in the future I want to possibly open an online shop or partner with a clothing company if poss...

Its just that I built this site all by myself and offering anyone like 30% or 50% cuts of what might be made seems a lot and I don't want to lose control over MY idea and project. But then a gain I can't expect people to find articles or write them every month and help me for nothing...

I will advertise that readers can submit articles with full acknowledgements given but I can't rely on this especially in the early stages..

What do you think I should do ?

Cheers

Cloughie

[This message has been edited by Cloughie (edited August 04, 2000).]

Cat Herder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloughie, do you hang out in misc.fitness.weights at all on Usenet? I don't read there as much as I used to due to time demands, but there are quite a few folks there that maintain bb pages. In fact, I think some of them already write various articles for other sites (mesomorphosis comes immediately to mind), and Tim Fogarty has a site whose name escapes me, but it's full of contest info and historical stuff. Then of course you have the techie-types like Pat Arnold, etc. Don't know how much time they might have to give you, or if you're interested in things like that, but there's always the other folks hanging around who would probably be willing to write PT/nutrition/whatever articles for just the exposure. After all, there's nothing a bb likes more than extolling the virtues of their particular training program, eh?

------------------
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    http://www.hostmatters.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cloughie,

I had this same problem when I built my latest website, or rather, the original version of it. I found that a lot of webmasters were more than happy to allow me to use their articles as long as I provided a link to their site etc.

However, I had a fairly ugly experience when doing my new site. I had a partner who had no idea of webdesign, so he let me do it all. We agreed early on that we would get ad revenue for whatever pages we did - then he realised that while he would be supplying only 5 or 6 regularly updated pages I would be supplying over 70 (now nearly 100!). So he started to say that we should go 50-50, as he claimed that he would bring in all the visitors. Well, I didn't like his manner, so I told him, and we went our separate ways. Very ugly. Although it is a great consolation when I see that I'm making more money than him ;-). I also like the fact that now I have total control over the website - no-one is telling me how to design (least of all someone who has next to no knowledge of designing), when to update, or is moaning about money.

However, I don't have people sending me articles to publish. Most of them I write myself, or have taken from other websites (with permission, of course). I basically churn out one article a week (now that I'm at home from university for the summer I have more time), put it on the newsletter, and then put it on the appropriate place on the site.

Also, I wouldn't say that it was likely that the hits would be low. As you have so many pages (as do I) you will easily have a lot of hits, which will mean that you can get through a lot of CPMs, and advertising is surprisingly easier to get than I thought it would be. You could probably toss them 10 per article, and still come out with loads of money just from ads, as long as you don't undersell yourself.

My advice in a nutshell, then, is don't bother getting a partner yet, write to other webmasters for articles, promise full credit, maybe give them special links (I have all the sites that have helped me on every one of my 7 or 8 links pages, as well as on a special "Top links" page. Just keeps them happy, and it's no great work on my part). Once the ad revenue starts coming in, and it will, then you can start offering money for articles. Perhaps mention that you will pay in the future, and priority would be given to those that already wrote for you, although that may seem a little too keen for my liking ;-).

Hope that helps!

Ollie

------------------
    Football-Punter.co.uk

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the useful replies.

Annette : No never been there, mostly hang out at musclemag.com and sometimes at elitefitness.com..

U into training aswell ?

Ollie O:

Yeah have decided to not involve anyone else at this point. Am going to try and attract 2 or 3 regular writers with some personal training acknowledgement, and then see if I can pull in the rest from readers.. Just gotta try and think of an incentive.

As Annette said theres nothing like a bodybuilder showing of what he knows and does so perhaps i won't have much trouble... he he

Cheers Guys..

Cat Herder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Cloughie:
    Hey thanks for the useful replies.

Annette : No never been there, mostly hang out at musclemag.com and sometimes at elitefitness.com..

U into training aswell ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, sure am. I'll never be "hyooge", of course, since I just don't have the structure for it (well, at least not with "performance enhancers" that I will never use). But being fit is good enough for me.

------------------
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    http://www.hostmatters.com