Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Nobody read the first article I linked to? http://www.marco.org/2617546197
    yup, and the implication is that human-powered sites (*cough*wikipedia*cough*) are starting to look a ~lot~ more reliable

I may have to go make a donation to DuckDuckGo.
    don't forget to promote it via lmddgtfy.com and donttrack.us
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    What's up with the DuckDuckGo thing? A few quick searches didn't show anything special (aside for less results than in Google). Though I do like the continuous list thingy.
    Yes, it's not great, but as a feat of programming from a single person it's pretty impressive.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I tried DuckDuckGo out and was impressed by the results and will use it as my default search engine for a while to see how it goes.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One problem straight away - I was looking for the price of some software and DuckDuckGo returned hardly any results and so I had to go back to Google

Horese for courses as the saying goes.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Regarding profiling, this is exactly how Google can give better results for you, but you won't let it.
    Nope, I do not want personalised search. I don't want local search either (which is what it tries to shove down my throat often anyway). Great way to keep your eyes closed to everything but what you said you already like. Hm, Amazon usually recommends garbage that doesn't interest me because I order stuff for other people that I personally have no interest in, but those purchases are attached to a profile of me. No benefit, no thanks.
    Whenever a company says "We're here to HELP you" it means "We earn money on your information". Period.
    And for what, privacy? Privacy on the Internet - that's an oxymoron. ^_^
    No but being stupid about it is being stupid about it.

Oh, seat belts, why bother wearing them? YOU COULD BE HIT BY A SPEEDING SEMI-TRACTOR TRAILER AND THAT SILLY LITTLE SEAT BELT WON'T SAVE YOUR SKULL FROM BEING CRUSHED LIKE A GRAPEFRUIT!!!

So I guess I should just go ahead and sign up for a YouTube account and link it with a Google account and a Facebook account (oooh so I can LIKE videos and then hook that up to twitter so an automatic message gets displayed that I LIKED some retarded LOLcat video) and turn all the Javajunk and cookies on and get all those ads based on me follow me around so I can get the local newspaper listing me as supporter of some unpopular hippy initiative and my grandma's tampon size while they're at it. Because, since there's no point at all, I shouldn't even try, right? I should just go with the flow man, cause it's not like I'm interesting (no international spy here) or have anything to hide (I don't do anything illegal), right?

For the record, I even wear a seat belt in the back seat, if it works (which is maybe half the time for some reason). And yet, I don't wear a helmet in the car, nor do I surf the web via an email client (like the paranoid do).

Scroogle is just a Google's scraper (oh the irony)
    I don't understand this one. Did you think I wasn't aware that the scroogle logo looks like the google logo (or did you miss my reasons above for why I use it instead of DDG)? It's just a middleman filter. Google can still see "someone requested a search on "cooking housecats" on such and such date", so they get something back, but nothing more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

howdy!
    I just saw your bigggggg hate,yr first post on this thread.
    not only promote sth,and do try to help sb,then it would help himself,right?
    thks
    Srator

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I do not want personalised search.
    Exactly. You have a problem with Google's results yet you're not gonna let them make it better. And then complain about it.

I don't use personalized search either. I don't need it. But then I understand the limits Google has in delivering me quality results. I don't whine about how I don't get what I imagine Google should give me, like a child who didn't get the candy he wanted. I embrace the reality and work with what I have available.

Whenever a company says "We're here to HELP you" it means "We earn money on your information". Period.
    I don't understand this. Are you looking for charity?

I don't understand this one.
    whether content scrapers and spinners are alright (wtf? DIE)
    ^_^
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google has gone a bit down hill recently. There was a good post by jeff atwood http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...of-google.html

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    whether content scrapers and spinners are alright (wtf? DIE)
    ^_^
    Oh, you didn't see any difference between someone offering a privacy service (or any other service that has to use someone else's API like http://accessibletwitter.com ) and someone copying someone else's content, putting it up on their own site like it's theirs. Funny, I thought it was obvious. Oh wait, all those people with the content scrapers here on the forums are just doing a good cause for us right? (and scroogle did not start out as any kind of "good cause" or charity act, I guess it just became a default)
    http://scroogle.org explains, though horribly (the 1990's fashion and the fact that they use images instead of text... retards. What you get when back-enders/programmers build web sites).

Exactly. You have a problem with Google's results yet you're not gonna let them make it better. And then complain about it.
    I do not believe a personal search == a better search. Just a narrower one.

And yes, I'm going to complain. They offer a service, which they want to be the best at. I will complain when they rank garbage higher than real content.

I don't whine about how I don't get what I imagine Google should give me, like a child who didn't get the candy he wanted.
    I've been here how many years, and you still haven't realised that whining is my forte? LIKE A CHILD YES. GOOGLE, GIMME WHAT I WANT OR BECOME THE NEXT ALTA VISTA. I used to love AltaVista, even used it in school. And Lycos. They were cute.

But I don't want candy. I want chocolate.

MrWooster, ++

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, you didn't see any difference between someone offering a privacy service (or any other service that has to use someone else's API like http://accessibletwitter.com ) and someone copying someone else's content, putting it up on their own site like it's theirs. Funny, I thought it was obvious. Oh wait, all those people with the content scrapers here on the forums are just doing a good cause for us right? (and scroogle did not start out as any kind of "good cause" or charity act, I guess it just became a default)
    http://scroogle.org explains, though horribly (the 1990's fashion and the fact that they use images instead of text... retards. What you get when back-enders/programmers build web sites).
    Scroogle doesn't use an API. It's a scraper. Period. You're justifying it but it doesn't make it any better than the spammers' scrapers - they have their justifications too. To me, Scroogle is just another spammer.
    Saul

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You're justifying it but it doesn't make it any better than the spammers' scrapers
    Seriously?

You need to show me how this works. How is someone copying someone's content, placing it on a page that links to the rest of the farm and a bunch of AdSense ads (gee, I wonder who'd gettin paid for those : ) and other garbage is somehow the same as someone who can give me search results from a search engine without the cookies and profile storage using the same technique?

Though I just did a search on DDG with !g searchterms and that does the same thing: privacy but still getting whatever's still good in google results (if I can't get what I need from DDG directly). So it's pretty moot... I'm starting to warm up to this duck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously.

It copies the content from Google, and places it on a page with a donation link.

Person A copies content from site X and places it on site Y along with some monetization method. Sound familiar?
    Saul

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, non-profit helping organizations. Or Google

You know, we should also consider the purpose...

Google is gotten worse. It's a fact. Personalized search is the grey area they devised to take advantage of you. This was fair in the times they also provided quality in a bigger ratio.

Yesterday, surfing w/o images and flash made your 128kbs connection fly.

Now, my 15mbs flies... only after I install NoScript. Images and flash aren't a concern any more. W/o NoScript though I'm reduced to some sites to 4kbs memories.

Now I'm blocking scripts form a cluster of sites at one time in a single page, scripts that have nothing to do with the content in that page.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, yesterday you had hair too
    Saul

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's possible my caricature doesn't show, but since I've been shaving my head I also had a 10% gain in internet speed!

And improved my mileage by 7.5%!

And the possibility to be confused with Dana White has increased by 32%!

In your face, d(a)emon, in your face!!! BTW, Google knows your real face: http://www.google.ro/imgres?imgurl=h...:1&um=1&itbs=1. Scroogle doesn't...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll save your shaving tips for when my own head starts looking like a light bulb

BTW, that's a very cool demon picture right there.
    Saul

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the first: keep collecting advices, and hope it'll happen sooner than you think! Stupid hair tends to dislike smart heads!!! But smart hair tends to stick with stupid heads!!!

On the second: yeah, unless: http://www.tvclip.biz/video/fdRm1UG0...r-edition.html or http://www.tvclip.biz/video/fwqb_E1r...are-video.html.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post! I hate them as well, I just block them everywhere I go.
    It's more annoying when they flood your twitter
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also very hate spammer.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word of advice: GoDaddy doesn't like people using domains registered with them to spam.

Namecheap Registrar: They don't care. I reported several spam and they are just ignorant about it.

If you get any spam, just forward them to spam@thee-mailprovider or abuse@ with the full header.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The search engines have employed some clever folks and they are winning the war with the spammers

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the author personally but it says he's an SEO in his bio, add to that the fact that it's posted on a site about SEO, and it's very hypocritical, isn't it?

"My SEO is good, and you are a criminal". What? You do your share of link spamming as well, so if you want to solve the problem, why not start with yourself?

Bah.

Yes, spam exists, it always has and always will. Still, Google does a good enough job, otherwise spam would be everything you can find.

P.S. My results for those keywords are very different and the top ones are not spam
    Saul

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    P.S. My results for those keywords are very different and the top ones are not spam
    From Australia, I get very similar results to the ones shown in the article.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much of that is got to do with the Google algorithm change.
    Saul