SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have multiple domains via which I send and receive e-mail.

I was wondering how others set up their mail accounts.

What I do is configure each domain (or have the host do it) to forward the mail sent to that domain to a single pop3 that I get from my ISP. Then I log-in to my pop3 to get my e-mail, and I have Outlook Express distribute the incoming mail into the different folders I set up for each domain.

For outgoing mail, I set-up different identities in Outlook Express, each with a "from" and "respond to" which corresponds to my different domains, with all outgoing mail routing through the SMTP from my ISP.

Am I doing it efficiently? Didn't know if there is an obvious better way.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that seems like a good way to do it. At least that's the way I do it I havn't tried any other way though...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    · WEB: http://www.j.cx
    · EMAIL: justin@j.cx

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do pretty much the same thing, but I don't separate the incoming email by domain. That's a good idea.

One thing I do, though... is route all my various domain emails through one forwarding email. At this point, I have about 20 or so domains all forwarding to the same account. The theory is that if I change ISP's, I only have to modify one account.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use outlook, only web based programs. So, I check all of my emails one at a time. The reason being that, for instance, in the last 3 weeks I have used 4 different computers.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setup is like Ted's, except I don't mess with the multiple personality bit. I use templates that change this information for me but then again I am using the full version of Outlook 2000, having outgrown Outlook Express about 2 days after it got installed the first time.

I use Outlook when I am at home and a web-based email interface while on the road (like this week). I still get all my mail and when I get home Outlook automatically sorts it for me.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited July 27, 2000).]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>I am using the full version of Outlook 2000, having outgrown Outlook Express about 2 days after it got installed the first time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What makes Outlook 2000 so good compared to Outlook Express?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excerpt from Outlook Help:

Microsoft Outlook is a desktop information management program that helps you organize and share information on your desktop and communicate with other people. Use Outlook to do the following:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Manage personal and business information, such as your e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, and filesū
    as well as track activities.
    <LI>Share information with a group by using e-mail, group scheduling, and more.
    Share information with other Office programs, and find Office files from within Outlook.
    <LI>Connect to and share information across the World Wide Web.
    <LI>If you are a developer, use programming options to customize Outlook.
    <LI>If you are using Microsoft Exchange Server, take advantage of other Outlook features that are available to you.
    </UL>

[end excerpt]

It also includes better rules, message handling (one-click will list an entire thread), advanced search features, self-defined fields.

One feature is great for the small busines operator. Its called the Journal and you can keep track of your projects and the time spent on them here. It allows you to track applications used and things like phone calls, emails and letters sent to your clients so you can pull it up easily.

The contact information is totally customizable need 4 phone numbers and 10 email addresses for each contact? It can do it.

It has integration with Access, Excel and Word so you can do a mail merge with your contact list if needed.

It probably offers 100 times the features of Outlook Express and there isn't time to go into them all here. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/using.htm for more.

------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Wayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it the easy way:

Tools &gt; Accounts &gt; Mail

Then enter all the POP info (add), and you can check and receive from all your accounts. No sorting need, no forwards, nothing. It works great.

Owen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorting isn't needed, but it sure makes it nice. I know when my SitePoint Tribune folder shows up in bold that the new issue has arrived. I also sort by topic and person at times. It makes it a lot more managable to handle.

------------------