SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Internet public gets to elect 5 of ICANN's directors in an election this October, but only those who register for free as an ICANN @Large member by midnight, July 31. ICANN has downsized the number of publicly-elected policymakers from 9 to 5 directors this year (increasing the presence of big business and government directors). However, the 5 elected directors are the people who will represent small businesses and individual consumers in ICANNís management of the DNS, and therefore play an important role concerning the future of the domain industry on our level.

Help play a part in deciding how domain names will be legislated in the future by taking a few minutes to sign up for ICANN's @Large membership at http://members.icann.org . Their servers have been overloaded recently so if you can't get through, keep trying! Registration ends at midnight, July 31, so if you want to get a chance to vote, register as soon as you can.

Thanks,

------------------
    Eric Radtke
    Web Hosting: InterSurge Internet (lightning fast hosting... coming soon)
    Who says all the good domains are taken? DomainMailings.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently reading through the OpenSRS discussion list, and came up this message sent out by William X. Walsh of dotGOD. I'm giving him full credit for saying the following...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    This is a joke, I presume. Anything that starts out implying that at-large members will democratically elect ICANN HAS to be a joke, or written by someone who has no idea how ICANN is structured and the way ICANN has been gutting the bylaws to prevent the at-large membership from having any power to do anything, but still exist so ICANN can
    point to it to justify it's existence and claim to be a bottom-up organization, despite the obvious illusion to anyone who takes the time to look carefully.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An interesting point of view...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may very well be true... I don't give ICANN any credit for fairness, but I would much rather take a chance with this @Large thing instead of remain totally ignorant to it. Maybe it's just me...

------------------
    Eric Radtke

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really do anything though, 'cause you have to be 18 to be an @Large member. Oh well, I don't know if it would have made a difference, but...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the minimum age is 16, but if you are under 16 you are still out of luck. Go figure... apparently ICANN is unaware of the youngness of the Web.

------------------
    Eric Radtke