User Tag List

Thread: Working Title

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working Title

Ok, so I may sound a bit harsh and possibly nasty in this thread, but we'll see how it develops...

I read a lot of things each day (books, magazines, Websites, blogs, etc.). And I also read and hear a lot of people complaining...About work, the economy, how money is tight and how getting work in this economic climate is a tough job and so on. I don't think I'm complaining right now, I'd like to think I'm ranting and raving. And besides, I know that if I did complain nothing would happen, because people love to complain and they just can't bloody stop!

But why complain at all? Why not just do something about what the person is complaining about?

If somebody is struggling with learning something then seek out support, read more on the subject, practice more on what you're trying to do, then rinse and repeat. Stop bloody complaining about it because it won't get you anywhere!

And if somebody is struggling with finding / receiving work then rather than complain about how money is tight and it's tough getting work these days...Why not just do something about it THERE AND THEN? Find out what the problem is from people, work harder to achieve better results and more money, be better at what you do because you clearly mustn't be as good as you think you are if you aren't getting enough work in that you're complaining about it!

So, we have the people who just get on with the work and do what needs to be done to get the amount of work they want and the amount of money they need / want and they don't (usually or often) complain. They get on with life and enjoy it. And then we have the people who complain and whine and whine because of this and that...There is a reason things aren't going so well for them, right? So why don't they stop complaining and start doing something about it? Are they not capable of reading more than anybody else? Can they not handle working 10 more hours than everybody else to achieve what they need / want to?...Or is it just that they can't be arsed putting in that extra effort to put themselves in the position they want to be in?

If I need work I'll go out and find it. If I need to be better at what I do I'll practice it more often and learn more about the trade. If I need to lose a few hours (or days) of sleep in order to get through a tight deadline then I'll buy some Coca-Cola, Red Bull, and plenty of food and get through it all. And I won't complain about any of it - Why? Because I put myself in that position in the first place. It's my own damn problem and I'll have to get through it using whatever means necessary. And when I listen to other people whining about this sort of stuff and reading about it, it makes me wonder...Why are they doing this in the first place? Should they be where they are?

You know what? I think I just complained . And I know some people will tell me not to listen to these people that complain and not to read these peoples complaints - But it's hard to avoid it when it's just sprung up on you. And as much as I'd like to, I don't have the balls to tell them to shut the hell up complaining and do something about it. I only have the guts to say "Do something about it then and stop complaining". I just wish that people would stop complaining and just do something about the situation they're in so they don't have a need to complain about it!

Andrew Cooper

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Complaining is like a rocking chair--It gives you something to do, but doesn't actually get you anywhere.

On a more serious note, a lot of people are spending beyond their means...they simply don't understand/know/care how to manage money. That's one part of the problem there.

However...yes, in general, the US economy is hurting (although some sectors are doing well). Yes, there are lots of people out of work...just shy of 10% of the working population, last I heard.

On the other hand, many people who have found themselves out of work with no viable job prospects are going back to school, so there are some people actively doing something. I've heard of some using their time unemployed to start up businesses too.

...anyway, I think I'm getting off topic a bit by only focusing on one of your points.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear, I think some people just never grow up. Kids whine and complain to get what they want from their parents. Some of them grow up and learn that being an adult means taking action to get things done. Others never learn that or refuse to accept it and continue to whine and be miserable for the rest of their lives.

I don't know a single whiner who has achieved anything in their life, and all whiners that I know are, to be blunt, failures.

The moral of the story is: don't be a whiner, be a winner.
    Saul

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Andrew

Interesting topic! I don't really have time for people who complain either - like yourself my approach is just get on with it and sort it out, end of story! But, unfortunately for some people that's easier said than done!

What really bugs me - since we're sort of complaining about complaining people, wait... (does that mean us too?!) Anyways, what tends to annoy me is people who complain about things that really are no big deal at all - those people who hype things up so much so that they sound like major tasks they have to complete but in actual reality they aren't - for example, I remember working with this girl who complained about everything! We had the same amount of work to do but she over-hyped everything always complaining about "I'm just far too busy for this" or "It's impossible for me to get these things done, I need additional help"!!

That's just really frustrating to me! In my experiences, people who complain are either really stressed out or just plain lazy! There are some instances where complaining gets you a lot of places - with the example above, that girl actually did get extra help - so while her assistant was off doing her work for her, she was doing her own personal banking, shopping online during office hours! It's amazing how some people can get away with stuff like that, it's disgusting IMO!

But yes, people shouldn't really unload their problems at your door unless invited to do so - you're not a dumping ground and if the polite route doesn't work first time then I would suggest being more direct - you can't put up with stuff like that