SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two happiest moments as a webmaster was (1) when I got a really nice letter from another webmaster saying "Thanks, you really helped me" and (2) when an Australian Business emailed me and asked if they could use content for a youth web design contest. It makes you feel like what you're doing is really helping *people*, not "hits" or "visits".

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your happiest moment as a webmaster? I think these are probably some of mine:

-First time I saw my first site on the web and not on my hard drive (despite it being terrible ;-))

-First time I saw my counter and saw that people were actually coming to my site

-Anytime anyone said something nice about any of my sites, especially if it is an e-mail out of the blue!

-Anytime I get approached by someone for a link with a NON-generic e-mail (i.e. NOT "Hello webmaster, I came across your site and would like to swap links" - one of those I just do to promote traffic but I don't make any effort to be particularly civil to the guy - it's just business - his site is normally crap anyway)

-Anytime I get approached by an advertiser or receive the cheque! (This is also sweet when I rub it in one of my mates in particular's nose for when he mocked me for building a website and expecting to make money from it. I also like it knowing that I'm making more money than my former partner who left because he thought that he I was demanding too great a share of the cash and that he could make more on his own ;-).)

-I recently got asked to write a column for someone's site - what a compliment! He also referred to me when he gave credits for his site! It's the small things that flatter.

What about you guys?

------------------
    Football-Punter.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love getting that check in the mail...it shows that what you're doing is fully legitimate and worth doing...it confirms it for me.

Other than that: I love launching new areas of sections of a site after a long time, and I especially love getting a script customized just the way I want after several hours of troubleshooting.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think this is a very intereting topic.

Well my favourite moment as a webmaster was uploading my first site, then seeing ut live and telling my mates about it. Although it isn't doesn't match the feeling I had when my first site went up it stills goes whenever I open a new site that I have worked on. The e-mails from visitors are also very good to recieve, it sort of maes you feel like all the work you put into it was worth it.

Although it is nice to reciewve the check when designing a site totally ran by me and not done for anyone else I don't really do it for the money but it is still a nice bonus .

Fletch

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These have been some of my happiest "webmaster" times:

<OL TYPE=a><LI> When my newsletter was getting 2-3+ subscribers a day.
    <LI> Getting praise email from my users.
    <LI> Sitting back and using the program I just made, which has a good purpose, and actually works (this is one of the best).
    <LI> Seeing others use what I have made.
    </OL>

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite moment was when TechMailings.com (now owned by the parent parent company of Slashdot) featured my site. I got nearly a thousand new subscribers in 10 minutes.

Stupid me, I had e-mail notification and a 14.4kbps modem.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - when my site was live and i could see it at school and friends comps
    - when i started recieving thank you notes from people i've helped
    - when i installed my first CGI script (ultraboard 1.6.2) without the help of any tutorial. it took more than one day, but after all the troubleshooting i was so happy to see it working
    - when i see impressive stats for a day's work

sure, i really love money, but i am not in it for the money but rather the experience. i want to learn as much as i can and learning is worth than money to me. of course, i don't have to pay any bills yet (just the phone bill).

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. When I saw I listed in Yahoo!
    2. Receiving checks is always nice...
    3. Hearing positive comments from users.

------------------
    Marc James
    Sports Central - All Sports, All The Time!