SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to provide this info on a website???

I'm doing a site for a guy that's in the atm & credit card business, and he's wanting to provide the stats on all his machines on his website for his investors to be able see on a daily basis.

In order to get these stats, he has to login to his account on his processors' site, then he can download his stats in MS Excel format (or it may just be some sort of generic spreadsheet format. I'm not totally sure)

My question is this:
    How would I go about setting up a database type system on his site where all he has to do is upload the actual data on a daily basis?

I'm fairly familiar with Perl/CGI, but that's about as far as I've gotten with databases.

What I had in mind is some sort of a way to have a program draw it's content from the text data he would be uploading everyday. This way the webpage that is generated is controlled by the program and will look right.

This guy doesn't know anything about webdesign, so he probably wouldn't be interested in just uploading a webpage with the new info each day.

Any ideas would be helpful......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what scripting language you're using and what the Excel file looks like. I know that ASP can read from Excel files natively, so if the spreadsheet isn't too complex it should be pretty easy. ASP can also access CSV files natively without having to manually parse through them, so if it was a text file, that would be pretty easy too.

Edit:

If you wanted to make it easy for the guy and you need the power of a real database engine (instead of Excel or CSV), you could get him to export the Excel file to a CSV file and then just paste it in a text area. Then your script could parse through and actually insert the data into a database. From there you can do anything you want with it, and it would eliminate the need for the client to FTP a file every day (as well as the errors generated by people trying to view the page while that file transfer is going on).

Goof
    Last edited by Goof; Aug 13, 2002 at 13:21.
    Nathan Rutman
    A slightly offbeat creative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I have a lot to learn, so here goes....

What's a CSV file? (what do the letters stand for?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comma Separated Value
    It's a comma-delimited text file.

Goof
    Nathan Rutman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look at Microsoft's Spreadsheet Web Components.

The spreadsheet Web component supports Excel workbook features, including the ability to load spreadsheet XML files and support for named ranges, array formulas, and multiple worksheets. The spreadsheet Web component now supports all the built-in functions in Excel.
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Office web componants are generally slow. Microsoft JET (which is used to connect to Access databases) has a connection string to connect to Excel spreadsheets which would allow you to access the data through ADO objects. They should give you much better performance than the office componants.

Hope that helps,
    Goof
    Nathan Rutman