SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to pass along my thanks to everyone in this thread. I got a lot more help then I could ask for and learned more in this thread than from all the css tutorials I've been reading the last few weeks. I need to still tweak things for content on other pages but other than that I'm quite content and it looks very nice (IMO) now.

So thank you for the input, especially Death

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Which with the piss poor support for generated content and that if it's content what the devil is it doing in the CSS...
    Not arguing about that But whether or not, if this possible scenario, no matter how wrong it may seem to some, will, in fact, exemplify why, in the first place, @charset exists? It seems I forgot about something: non-ASCII characters in font names. And I, as a Romanian, having letters like ășțĂȘȚ in my native language, understand the use.

Can't rely on them for use, so shouldn't be using them. Goes back to my complaint about how maybe, just maybe BEFORE the browser makers waste all this time on screwing around with crap not even out of DRAFT they should get the decade old RECOMMENDATIONS implemented properly?
    I guess you use multiple classes? I, for one, most certainly use them. Now, given the almost identical support between multiple classes and [attr] selector (IE6 ), I see no reason why one shouldn't use it.

And no, it's NOT the CSS equivalent of slapping classes on everything in the markup, it's the equivalent of not wasting CSS power just because of one PMF, STBG, IE6.

We had many times before the same argument And I've said it before: I refuse to do my web dev stopping at what IE6 can do. Instead, I start with what modern UAs can do and then I gracefully degrade for granpa' IE6

But of course none of the missing bits are flashy enough for anyone to fix them. (see Colgroup, display:run-in, first-line, first-letter, etc)
    True. Sad but true.

To put that in perspective though, there's a reason I don't use a lot of the fancy selectors -- which contributes to my small file sizes and simple/easy to maintain code. I still say if you need +, >, [attr], or worse ~, your markup and CSS is probably too convoluted for it's own good.
    Exactly for perspective' and progress' sake I began using selectors existing in current VALID specs

Looking at this another way: what type of regexp would we have today if the "philosophy of minimalism" regarding CSS selectors would apply the same way there? It's pretty much the same thing. A regexp expression, much like a CSS selector, needs to be effective and efficient.

Finally, I don't believe using selectors like > or + means more weight and clutter to my CSS. Per contra