User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 word domain names in search engines

Hello,

I would be interested in registering a 3 or 4 word domain name. My question is, should I register buy-used-car or buyusedcar (just an example)?
    Also, where will place search engines my site if I type for search buy used car?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zoltan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General theory is to get both - use the dashed version as the primary for submitting to search engines/directories etc have the non-dashed version server side redirect to the dashed version but reserve this for type in's and word of mouth traffic (do NOT promote in it search engines).

As for ranking, the url will not determine that your page content will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been discussed recently:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=71529

Atrus.
    Webmaster - Stefan Meier KG TABAKWAREN - Pfeifen, Premium-Zigarren, ... (_Ger)

SitePoint Enthusiast Sharon & Roy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domain Names - To Hyphenate Or Not To Hyphenate?

Originally posted by zoltan

I would be interested in registering a 3 or 4 word domain name. My question is, should I register buy-used-car or buyusedcar (just an example)?
    Hello Zoltan,

Since your question is related to the search engines, we will answer you like this.

If you are concerned about "ranking consideration" then either one is fine, since by and of itself your domain name has very little DIRECT ranking consideration.

Our recommendation is to always use hyphens to separate words, even in your directory names and file names.

For example ...

buy-used-car.com/ford-taurus/1996-1999-models/low-mileage.html

Now, if you also want to register this domain with the directories, then that is another situation altogether, because when it comes to "ranking consideration" they give domain names more consideration than search engines do.

So for directories use hyphens.

Also, where will place search engines my site if I type for search buy used car?
    Well, if you are wanting to know about Google (the world's most important search engine) then we will answer you this way.

If you think that simply placing your keywords in the domain name will help to place your page/site high in the rankings, then you are mistaken and misinformed.

You need LOTS of "votes" from other RELATED pages and sites that will "tell" Google that your page/site is about "buy used car" so that means acquiring lots of Backward Links with your keywords (buy used car) in the Anchor Tag Text.

For example ...

<a href=http://www.buy-used-car.com>Buy Used Car</a>

Now, just to give you an idea of how many Backward Links you'll need to be #1 or in the Top 10 or Top 30 here is what the competition currently looks like ...

------
    buy used car

#1 has PageRank8 and about 18,100 Backward Links

#10 has PageRank8 and about 7,640 Backward Links

#30 has PageRank6 and about 3,170 Backward Links

#100 has PageRank5 and about 348 Backward Links
    ------

To summarize what we just said, we'll say this ...

DIRECTLY, the domain name importance on any given search engine on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 1.

INDIRECTLY, the domain name importance on any given search engine on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 10.

SEO TIP: The best reason to include keywords in your domain name is because you want people to link to your site with your keywords in the Link Text (Anchor Tag Text). This is the most important way to get high rankings.

Indirectly your domain name can become an important aspect of the search engine placement process. How so, you may ask?

Well, if you name your domain, Tax-Return-Guru.com instead of your actual company name, Fuller Accounting Service, what do you think your chances would be that people will link to your site with the Anchor Tag Text of ... Tax Return Guru? Probably pretty good, huh? That would be especially encouraging to you if you're targeting the keywords ... tax return ... which by the way is currently listed at around 700 daily searches and that would definitely be much more around tax time.
    Call For A FREE 1 Hour SEO Consultation 760-378-2539 (Pacific)
    Want To Learn All About Search Engine Optimization? We Teach A 6
    Week Online SEO Class - There Is So Much More To SEO Than Just
    Meta Tags ::: http://www.iwon.net/seo/class-description/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sharon & Roy,

Need your advise on this.

Does it make any difference if we use hypen or underscore for our directory and filenames? Which is the recommended one?

Does the level of directory make a big difference to our ranking?

For example, which of the following is recommended if we are building for a small site that do not really need directories?

domain.com/keywords/

or

domain.com/keywords.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Domain names have less weight than they used to with SE's. However the one with dashes would fair better looking at both msn and google.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by SitePointer
    Hi Sharon & Roy,

Need your advise on this.

Does it make any difference if we use hypen or underscore for our directory and filenames? Which is the recommended one?

Does the level of directory make a big difference to our ranking?

For example, which of the following is recommended if we are building for a small site that do not really need directories?

domain.com/keywords/

or

domain.com/keywords.html
    dash or underscore won't matter in any area other than aesthetics.

Directory depth does not matter. Some people think it does because of how the Google toolbar guesses the PR of un-spidered pages, these people don't realize that that is just a guess and not an actual rank.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums