SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typography advice

Ok, i have been designing a portal type site for the first time and the usual fonts i use (verdana) dont seem to look good when there are lots and lots of links scattered around the page.

I want my site to look clean and professional but not look ugly like other portal sites like yahoo. What are the best fonts to use for small headers (size -1,0) and the best text for small body text (-1,1)

Also as i'm quiet new to the world of typography can somone please point me in the right direction to some good typography tutorials and articles ?

thanks for your time

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually both Verdana and Tahoma were commissioned specifically to be web fonts (and are the only fonts that were originally, that are widely available at any rate) and were designed by a guy called Matthew Carter. He also got commissioned by Apple to make Georgia specifically for screen use. Readability-wise this makes these three fonts the best screen fonts. The subtleties that set them apart are quite numerous -- things like consideration of screen rendering, etc. were all incorporated into the design of these fonts, but no others. Stick with them for the most readable site.

G

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i havent used Tahoma up till now. thanks.

Any more suggestions ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by greg.harvey
    He also got commissioned by Apple to make Georgia specifically for screen use.
    My personal fav web font--though both Georgia and Verdana (maybe Tahoma too?) are actually Microsoft fonts, I think. :-)

~~Ian

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verdana tends to be found on Macs too. Tahoma not so. They are Microsoft fonts (Carter was commissioned by M$ to design them) but it seems Verdana has spread further -- probably because nowadays it's fast becoming *THE* screen-specific sans font design.

If you wanted to use Tahoma then your font set would be something like 'Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif'.

G