SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Experiment: The new SitePoint front page in CSS

As a learning exercise (mainly to put the knowledge gained from a couple of CSS books I've just finished reading in to practise) I had a go at recreating the new www.sitepoint.com front page using only CSS for layout. The result can be seen here:

http://development.incutio.com/simon...oint/new2.html

I've explained the layout (and relevant browser problems) in a bit more detail in a thread on the suggestions forum, but seeing as it's CSS I thought I'd post it here as well I've got it looking pretty good in Mozilla / IE6 / IE5 on windows but Opera is missing off the left hand border for some reason - if anyone knows a way of fixing that I would be very grateful. I haven't tested it on a Mac yet but I imagine that will introduce a few problems as well.

Strangely enough the biggest problem I had was getting it to behave in IE6 (IE5 was working fine). I ended up having to set a width on the main content div, which in turn meant I had to resort to the box model hack to get the width right in IE5. Still, I managed to keep all of the hacks and workarounds in the CSS.

I learnt a fair amount about the practicalities of using CSS for complex layouts during the experiment, and I'm even more confident now that CSS positioning is ready for use on large scale sites, provided you don't mind ignoring Netscape 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thats pretty good. I actually think yours looks better than the original.
    Travis Watkins - Hyperactive Coder
    My Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Alacarte - Gnome Menu Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long did this take you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 3 hours I think - I couldn't get to sleep so I had a mess around with that instead

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Skunk
    About 3 hours I think - I couldn't get to sleep so I had a mess around with that instead
    Ahhh... a grea many things can be accomplished then...