SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on Dreamweaver MX?

HI all, I am considering using Dreamweaver MX for a new site I'm about to build, It will be database driven, and apparently Dreamweaver's intergration with Coldfusion MX should be able to get the job done. But I'm not sure if I should go this route or use coldfusion studio.

Have anyone done anything using Dreamweaver MX yet, and if so I would appreciate any feedback or opinions on it's functionality and it's ability to allow the you build a dynamic site, in comparison to hardcoding methods. I kind of feel like I would be cheating if I use Dreamweaver MX, as I won't be learning the coldfusion language properly, so I am also reading a coldfusion book at the moment. It's just that from what I have seem Dreamweaver MX looks really useful, are there any drawbacks to using it to develop a database driven site.

Appreciate all responses.

MD Geist
    "My lyrics are encrypted in Hieroglyphic scriptures so you can picture this.....I make my point like a pyramid"

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, it's da bomb - go with it. Built to handle most database integration (inc php at long last), it's forte is ColdFusion and it even comes with ColdFusion developer edition.

I had actually stoppped using DW4, and was using phpEd for everything instead. Now I'm DWmx all the way, don't use the graphical mode that much. The ftp client is great, db integration is great, syntax colouring, line numbering etc etc etc, it's all there. The only caveat is that it seems a little unstable (ie crashes frequently) on Windows 98, on 2000 this hasn't been an issue at all.
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Aug 13, 2002 at 06:22.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it form ASP and ASp.NET development, which I mainly do by hand, but I think its great. The "intellisense" thing is great for .NET Web Forms and the ability to add tags (for .NET User Controls) really speeds up developmen.

Its my program of choice for work (that and ASp.NET Web Matrix) but I haven't used any of the built in server-side code, so I can't comment on that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I think that I will give it a try, I have already tried a few of the tutorials and they worked really well. Do you know of any example sites on line that have been developed using Dreamweaver MX that I can get a look at? Or maybe it's too early. Would appreciate any further comments/opinions from anyone on this program.

Thanks

MD Geist
    "My lyrics are encrypted in Hieroglyphic scriptures so you can picture this.....I make my point like a pyramid"