SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you incorporate logos into your layouts?

This is more of a graphic design problems so I'm asking it here:

I have a logo that black and white. The white portions of the logo become part of the background (sorry for explaining it this way. don't know the right design term for this). So if I put the logo on a red background, it'll be black and red.

I want to use other colors on their site but I keep getting drawn to using white and black and red. I've used these colors before and I want to do something different this time.

So who do graphic artists tackle this problem? Do you use other colors and not consider the logo at all? One solution I'm thinking of is simply putting the logo in a white box, thus freeing myself to use other colors instead of just following the white background.

Any other suggestions?
    http://www.soapbox101.com

SitePoint Zealot lightwithoutheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I have a logo that black and white. The white portions of the logo become part of the background..."

What you are probably referring to is called transparency, when the background color shows through a part of the logo. Just my personal opinion, but when I design a site I generally stick with 3 colors and no more. More than 3 colors on the same page tends to be too much for the viewer. That is, unless you are designing a very graphic site. Try choosing three colors and sticking with them. It is always another option to choose three or four colors and use different variations or hues of the same colors. Gray is a popular choice among graphic web designers.

Incorporating a logo into a webpage can be done in many ways. Sometimes using it in a header is the way to go to keep some form of organization throughout the site. Others designers may have completely different opinions, but that has worked for me. Best of luck.

J.
    ThirdWorldIT.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would it be ok for me to reverse the logo, to make it white on black instead so I can use black as a background instead of white?
    http://www.soapbox101.com

SitePoint Zealot lightwithoutheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you're certainly not limited as to how you can use the logo. Go for it and post a link and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback here.