SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by rapio
    but did you know your body is capable of liveing 140 years in very good health if we eat right?
    Who the hell wants to live for 140 years?
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the hell wants to live for 140 years?
    Funny comment coming from an athiest. I would think you would want to get as much mileage out of your one life as you can get!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends if you have to spend the last 40 years of your life in a nappy, and terrified because you think your 'enemies' are shining torches through your bedroom window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends if you have to spend the last 40 years of your life in a nappy, and terrified because you think your 'enemies' are shining torches through your bedroom window.
    When I said good health I also meant sound mind. The truth is most diseases could be prevented if people would only follow the health guides the bible has laid out for us, (you can follow these wether you believe god wrote them or not and still reap benefits)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hellbent

Honestly what do you expect goma? Christians/Catholic/Muslims have persecuted non-believers throughout history. I personally harbor great resentment towards most religious people. After all the years I have had "god" shoved down my throat from various aspects of society I feel the least we atheist's/non-believers can do is to give the religious bible thumpers a taste of their own medicine. Regardless of whether or not you personally spout your beliefs at others you are affiliated with an organization that does and therefore catch some of their backlash.
    Ok so now I have to take crap from atheists because someone who just happened to have the same religion as I have persecuted some non-believers in some time in the past? That's doesn't sound logical. In fact, that's downright prejudice.

So if I were to extend your line of thinking, if a black man killed a distant relative of yours from way back, you'd have the right to persecute blacks today? Isn't that "getting payback", which you seem to believe in?

I've had religion shoved down my throat too, from the day I was born throughout my years in Catholic schools. But I was taught to let other live their own lives.

Religion is religion. People are people. Every religion has its share of extremists and undesirables [advisor edit: please refrain from swearing], as with any group of people. These punks [advisor edit: please refrain from swearing] can choose to follow the religion's teaching or not, it's up to them. The attitude of some members of a religion can't be a reflection of that religion itself.
    Last edited by goma; Aug 19, 2002 at 10:45.
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by rapio
    but did you know your body is capable of liveing 140 years in very good health if we eat right?
    lets stick to what we know, not what may or may not be true...
    Last edited by Golgotha; Aug 19, 2002 at 10:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Golgotha

lets stick to what we know, not what may or may not be true...
    That is what I know, as I said as a medical student things like that are clearer to me than many people, but about my statement there was a study published in an english medical journal which made the above point about human beings gevity rate if we ate the right foods, though it made no mention of the bible of course the diet it outlined was one very simaler to the levitacul health laws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt that a proper diet increases life expectancy. However, one journal/periodical does not make fact. In addition, I would even say that most Americans/people do not have a proper diet. However, there are plenty of people that indeed do have a sufficient diet and are not living to those ages. I personally will hold off on believing that until I see more evidence of people living those lengths.

and see, you guys thought Christians believed all things without wanting evidence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt that a proper diet increases life expectancy. However, one journal/periodical does not make fact. In addition, I would even say that most Americans/people do not have a proper diet. However, there are plenty of people that indeed do have a sufficient diet and are not living to those ages. I personally will hold off on believing that until I see more evidence of people living those lengths.
    It was'nt published in just one journal and It was'nt researched by mad scientist , a group of very prominet american and british scientist and doctors studied the human genetic code and the various organs and parts of the body for 6 years before drawing these conclusions, the study was published in several american and english medical journals.

What you said is true many are eating a seemingly healthy diet and not liveing to these ages, but it's a lack of nutrients in most cases they are'nt eating the right combination of things to get the right nutrients and minerals to supply there body with what they need also our soil is not as rich as it once was which depletes the nutrients. It's like with herbs some herbs are supposed to be miracle workers (I'm a firm beleiver in herbs when used properly) take ginko biloba for example it is very well known for helping memory, but if mixed with certain drugs and other certain herbs it can kill you because it thins the blood especialy the blood flow to the brain. It's the same way with our diet if we eat the right things not what we think is right we'll live longer. It would take me hours and hours to go into this in detail here, but I'm publishing a site on these topics at www.naturalmeds.net <--(if thats breaking the rules please delete it) the site won't be up for a couple of months at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by goma
    So if I were to extend your line of thinking, if a black man killed a distant relative of yours from way back, you'd have the right to persecute blacks today? Isn't that "getting payback", which you seem to believe in?
    Your being naive, being born a certain color is a far cry from choosing an organizational affiliation. People of any race can be extremely diverse and no one race has any solid "guidelines of behavior", whereas when you make a choice to affiliate yourself with a political or religious group you are in fact saying that you views are in line with that organization or at the very least you sympathize with their cause. I cannot join Al Qaeda without their previous actions reflecting on me simply for being a member. That is a fact like it or not. Your affiliations in life will define you in the eyes of others.

Ok so now I have to take crap from atheists because someone who just happened to have the same religion as I have persecuted some non-believers in some time in the past? That's doesn't sound logical. In fact, that's downright prejudice.
    Yes you have to take "crap" from those who see your organization in a bad light. Prejudice? Of course it is. Justifiable prejudice? Of course it is. The actions of the Catholic Church seem as vile today as they were in times of old. From the deliberate torture and theft of land during the inquisition to the sodomization of young boys. I see it as a corrupt institution steeped in bizarre ritual and ignorance. That all reflects in part on you for being catholic, Thems the breaks.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hardly an affiliation anymore than your worldview is an affiliation. I can switch "organisations" or even viewpoints entirely and still believe in God, in fact my belief has nothing to do with any organization whatsoever.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeremy W.
    It's hardly an affiliation anymore than your worldview is an affiliation. I can switch "organisations" or even viewpoints entirely and still believe in God, in fact my belief has nothing to do with any organization whatsoever.
    True but to my knowledge you are not a professed Catholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hellbent

Yes you have to take "crap" from those who see your organization in a bad light. Prejudice? Of course it is. Justifiable prejudice? Of course it is. The actions of the Catholic Church seem as vile today as they were in times of old. From the deliberate torture and theft of land during the inquisition to the sodomization of young boys. I see it as a corrupt institution steeped in bizarre ritual and ignorance. That all reflects in part on you for being catholic, Thems the breaks.
    So the billion or so Catholics around the world are all fudge-packing child molesters? Is that how you generalize people? So you should then extend that prejudice to not just Catholics but to all religious people everwhere. If I were to think like you (which thankfully I don't), I'd think that all Muslims are terrorists.

I'm not a bible thumping sunday church goer. I'm a Catholic but I see some of the the actions of the church as not in the best interest of its members. I believe on the teachings of Christ but I also realize that the Church is run by people, and people aren't perfect.

I think you should call yourself anti-Catholic rather than anti-religion. Catholics are easy targets for you guys. We are taught to turn the other cheek and all these morally corrupt priest being found out makes for great rocks to stone us with.

Why don't you put your money were your mouth is and try flaming muslims or Jews or Buddhists as well? Why don't atheists like you try telling other to their face what you think of their religion in places like Pakistan or UAE?

If you'll read my first post on this thread, I said I was never against atheism at all but I despise atheists that go out of their way to attack the religious.

Thanks for standing up as an example.
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the billion or so Catholics around the world are all fudge-packing child molesters? Is that how you generalize people? So you should then extend that prejudice to not just Catholics but to all religious people everwhere. If I were to think like you (which thankfully I don't), I'd think that all Muslims are terrorists.

I'm not a bible thumping sunday church goer. I'm a Catholic but I see some of the the actions of the church as not in the best interest of its members. I believe on the teachings of Christ but I also realize that the Church is run by people, and people aren't perfect.

I think you should call yourself anti-Catholic rather than anti-religion. Catholics are easy targets for you guys. We are taught to turn the other cheek and all these morally corrupt priest being found out makes for great rocks to stone us with.

Why don't you put your money were your mouth is and try flaming muslims or Jews or Buddhists as well? Why don't atheists like you try telling other to their face what you think of their religion in places like Pakistan or UAE?

If you'll read my first post on this thread, I said I was never against atheism at all but I despise atheists that go out of their way to attack the religious.

Thanks for standing up as an example.
    I have openly denounced all religion on a number of occasions and in a number of posts. Muslims and Jews are no better than Catholics. Actually believe it or not Hitler might have been on to something with the systematic elimination of Jews, if only he had broadened his scope and included all religion. However I see no need to actively hunt and destroy the religious as the have so obligingly destroyed each other for us throughout the past. The world is finally beginning to understand what foolishness this god business is and how hypocritical his followers are. I need take no action but point and laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see, although I'm technically Christian but I always believed that not one religion, philosophy or school of thought encompass the whole truth.

Just like the old children's fable I used to read as a kid about the Wise Blind Men and the Elephant. All the blind men touched a different part of the elephant so they declared that the elephant is like a snake, tree, etc etc. Like all of the religions in this world they have, I guess, touched each a different aspect of God/The divine/ or what-you-mah-call-it and declared that what they have felt was "God/Universe/whatever."

They are not entirely wrong but not entirely right as well.Its more like there is both truth and misconception in all of these systems. So for me I simply integrate the beliefs and values of religion/philosophy/science about God which will benefit me and help me (and others) grow as a person.
    Last edited by Adryanv; Aug 19, 2002 at 22:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would'nt admit I'm catholic right now to nobody not just atheist! I know some catholics that are great people and ones I like but I despise most of the catholic doctrine because about 90% of it is the bible twisted and molded to what the leaders want, and it was not, and I repeat was NOT the church ordained by Christ in mathew where Jesus told peter 'on this rock will I build my church" Jesus was'nt reffering to peter as the rock but what peter had said "you are the Christ the Son of God" also there are many other doctrines of the catholic church I disagree with.

As far as atheism goes I at one time was a very agnostic person, my father at one time was a professed atheist but like me he realized there is a God and accepted Jesus as Lord and the Son of God, So Hell Bent and others I know where your comeing from and really have nothing against you, I just hope you see the truth as I did, Also I have atheist freinds and we get along great we just avoid the topic of religion I don't push it on them and they don't push atheism on me.

But this is turning into a great debate and there's nothing I like more

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hellbent should be banned from the forum

Hitler might have been on to something?

Its not the first time Hellbent has expressed fascist-racist views. But this time he is condoning murder and by doing so has crossed the limits of free speech.

I suggest that his post be removed and future posts be examined by the moderators before getting displayed. If that's not possible technically, then he should be simply banned.

Others who feel the same way should report his post to the moderators, as I have. If there is enough concern expressed by other sitepointers perhaps some action will be taken.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hellbent should be banned from the forum

Originally posted by akohl

Its not the first time Hellbent has expressed fascist-racist views. But this time he is condoning murder and by doing so has crossed the limits of free speech.

I suggest that his post be removed and future posts be examined by the moderators before getting displayed. If that's not possible technically, then he should be simply banned.

Others who feel the same way should report his post to the moderators, as I have. If there is enough concern expressed by other sitepointers perhaps some action will be taken.
    Wouldn't this be the same limiting of "Freedom of Speech" that you are complaining about? People are entitled to their opinions. If you dislike his posts so much you are welcome to "Ignore" him from the Profile Screen. It just takes a few seconds.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my $.02

If one day you atheists wake up and millions and millions of people have disappeared, then you were wrong. There is a God and what has just happened was the Rapture. I suggest you find a Bible should this happen and start reading about repenting.... Just a future "help" post

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hellbent should be banned from the forum

Originally posted by akohl

You can't cross the limits of free speech, if it had limits it would no longer be free speech. Yes, Hellbents views are pretty extreme and I don't agree with many of them either, but how far do you go, if any post that offended anyone was removed the world events forum would be pretty bare, I find some patronising posts in this thread "suggesting that people will see the truth" just as offensive, should they be removed, no of course not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Hellbent should be banned from the forum

Originally posted by neil100
    You can't cross the limits of free speech, if it had limits it would no longer be free speech.
    The point is moot since these forums are owned by a private organization that doesn't have a legal obligation to provide it. The editorial policy for this forum was recently rewritten (at the time of the name change) to clarify how we interpret our responsibilities regarding this:
    What About Free Spee...?
    Ah, no. SitePoint is a private organization and as such has no obligation under the law to uphold free speech. We, of course, do want to facilitate constructive discussion among our peers and colleagues, though. Just keep in mind that your right to speak here ends when it's no longer leading towards a constructive and amiable conclusion (and yes, we determine what's "constructive and amiable" ;-).
    I can understand your objection, Andy, however Hellbent's comment did not violate the forums' guidelines--it's just extremely distasteful. If you don't want to deal with him, you don't have to--the choice is yours. Nonetheless, this really isn't the place to launch a campaign to have a user banned--try to settle things like this privately.

~~Ian

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As atheism is a disbelief in the existence of a deity, isn't atheism a belief system? As atheism relates to the existence of a diety, doesn't that make it a religious belief system?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Religion is one of those things you can only disbelieve in if you've never been taught anything about it, or been influenced by it in some way.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Herbster
    As atheism is a disbelief in the existence of a deity, isn't atheism a belief system? As atheism relates to the existence of a diety, doesn't that make it a religious belief system?
    No.

Atheism is just a simple conclusion based on logic, not a huge fairy tale.

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeremy W.
    Religion is one of those things you can only disbelieve in if you've never been taught anything about it, or been influenced by it in some way.
    Mmmm, don't know about that Jeremy.

In the UK, at least here in Scotland, it is impossible to find a school that doesn't teach religious learning from the day you first enter the school. The child doesn't have a choice because it is forced on them from the day they start to learn. (Some would argue you are at your most vunerable and open to any teachings, good or bad....)

But I happen to know many people who have absolutely no belief in any gods/dieties. As someone stated earlier in this post religion in the UK is on a slippy slope, but he is wrong in saying it is losing it's power base as well though.

So can you explain your original post above a little, and 'possibly' explain why all these people are leaving/deserting the church ? (After all why would they leave if they already know what will happen to the non believers)

[If the truth is out there as someone said earlier, can they tell us when it's on fox?]

Rab
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"