SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which frame rate do you use?

Hi. This is more a survey than anything, but I was just wondering what people tend to set their Flash movie's frame rate to and why? I think I'm right in saying that X-Dude recommends 24 fps. Any thoughts?

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18 most of the time...when you go higher, chances are very high that slower computers will suffer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24 is the speed that animators set for 'real-time' movement, so thats what I use. There are issues with the Mac version of the player above about 26 I believe (or there was in v5).
    FlashSwami //Flash & server side fun
    DotDragNet //General web help
    [>Now available for freelance web work<]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by flashswami
    24 is the speed that animators set for 'real-time' movement, so thats what I use. There are issues with the Mac version of the player above about 26 I believe (or there was in v5).
    Sorry for not being able to link to any reference but I also read somewhere the rate should be 24, and I was convinced when I read it.
    Nanaman never dies!
    Once I was Tyrael!

I wish Wayne also could change my whole life as he did with my nick and made me a rally driver!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to use 24 fps myself -- just wondering what other people did and why Flash sets the default at 12 fps ... ?

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i found what i was looking for

The uncompressed frame rate of an avi is 29.5 fps

This is to help accomodate audio syncing not to improve visiblilty. The old 35 mm movie projectors ran at 30 fps even 80 mm movies ran at 30 fps faster then the limit of visual perception.

Just as all cd's have a total harmonic range of 20hz to 20,000hz The human ear cannot percieve frequencies of 20,000 that in the realm of dog hearing As well below 18 hz is to low a note to be percieved as sound thru the auditory canal it is more felt as a vibration.

Since frame rates are relative in swf format it serves no purpose to increase the frame rate beyond 24 fps. while on faster computers there may be no visual difference between 36 fps and 24 fps on slower computers it will bog down the system and the movie will play slower.
    This information was posted to me as an e-mail by "frets" who is a member of the Flashkit community (credits..).

I hope this is useful to you as well
    Nanaman never dies!
    Once I was Tyrael!

I wish Wayne also could change my whole life as he did with my nick and made me a rally driver!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Similar to what flashwami said -- 'real-time' movement can be achieved as soon as you get past that magic 20 fps I guess .... so you could use 20 and get away with it ......

G