SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
    Well, but you must admit that half of them have below average IQ's. Well, depending on what exactly you mean by "average" of course.

Maybe you could show me where I said or implied that Verdana is a "bad" font? Or perhaps apologize for misquoting me?
    Step down from your high horse. Let go of your ego. The message "Verdana isn't a bad font" was not a quote from you. I never marked it in quotes and have abso-freaking-lutely no idea why you took it as a quote I made from you. It was a statement I made in the end for summation; not directed at you but to the person who wrote an article stating outright that Verdana was a bad font.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes

True, and because of this argument going on above, I'd say the best way to assume good faith in pure text like on this forum, I would say everyone's better off assuming generalisations aren't absolutes.

'Course then everyone can jump me when I say "never" and "always", lawlz. : ) Which I do a lot.
    I think that the person who originally wanted to know about typography is looking for hard "set-in-stone" rules to typography. I used to have this issue with wanting to over-analyze a creative process, but have come to my own personal realization that there are merely guidelines that help us rather than rules which limit us.

I get what you mean by hoping that others will understand that if we say "This NEVER is that" that we may mean instead "In my experience, for the most part, This NEVER is that". But I think it's equal parts us NOT saying the latter and equal parts us being too lazy to type it, that we get problems from others taking the absolute to heart.

Personally, don't know what side of that argument I'd be on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
    Care to show me where I said or implied that you did say that?
    In Post #37 you said...

And I just add that if you think fonts are particularly important for web pages you are deluded.

And then in Post #44, you followed up with...

Ah well then, I apologize for saying what I meant. Perhaps now on I should say the opposite of what I mean and fall in with the common wisdom and never question it.

Nah, I think I'll stand by my opinion because I'll feel better about myself. If you think that font faces are particularly important on the web I do, I am afraid, feel and believe that you are deluded.
    Why are you putting words into my mouth?

Where have I ever said that Font Faces were particularly important to me in the scheme of things?

And why do you insist on calling me "deluded"??

Here is my original post...

I've always read/been told that you should use Serif fonts in print and Sans Serif fonts online.

Do you agree with this?
    Stop being a troll and attacking people for no good reason.

TomTees

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alright children - and I'm talking to a number of you, regardless of age....consider this an open warning to all participants in this discussion.

The topic at hand is a discussion of what the proper usages for serif/non-serif fonts are. There is no need to go down the path of personal attacks, nor pointless arguments where no one is going to admit to having any part of being wrong.

Let's get back to the discussion at hand, shall we? If you have an opinion one way or the other, please state it and then back it up with arguments FOR YOUR OPINION. Provide all the information you can muster, and let the reader decide who's right/wrong, smart/moronic, etc.

Debate the facts, don't attack the individuals making them...
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTees View Post
    Where have I ever said that Font Faces were particularly important to me in the scheme of things?
    Perhaps you simply don't understand the meaning of the word "if"? In fact I never made any claim that you do or don't.

And why do you insist on calling me "deluded"??
    Apparently my theory is correct and you don't understand the meaning of the word "if". I never said nor implied that you were deluded and if you think I did then I can only suppose you have some difficulty with comprehending what I, in my naievity, thought was simple straightforward English.

Stop being a troll and attacking people for no good reason.
    May I recommend you get yourself a good dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "if"? It would seem to me to be important for people, you among them, to understand the meaning of that word which, apparently, you do not.

Or perhaps you do understand it's meaning but ignored it's presence in what I said out of some odd need to misinterpret me and put words in my mouth?

As to who is, or is not a troll, I will leave that for others to decide. However I am afraid I am not accepting you as an authority on such matters, given that you don't, or so it seems to me, understand meaning of that particular word.
    Ed Seedhouse

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DaveMaxwell has kindly asked everyone to leave this Kindergarten nonsense be and stop personally attacking each other. Since this very simple request doesn't seem to be understood, I'm closing this thread.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Nice. I get the last word. And that last word is this:

It's a shame that such a valuable thread had to be closed due to the inability of some to discuss the matter at hand.

Before you go off on rants in the future guys, please remember that this is a web development forum. You can have your personal debates about the pros and cons of each other's personalities on someone else's boards. I don't need them on mine.