SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any windows editors which will edit remote files over ssh?

Hi,

I do most of my web coding live on my webservers. Right now I use putty to make a secure connection and then vi to edit.

I'd like to use a nice gui application but I want to edit the file directly without FTP back and forth. I'd also like it to use ssh rather than ftp.

I've looked at a lot of the editors you guys talk about in this forum (the free ones at least) and don't see anything like this.

My second choice would be something that used the front page authoring extension but wasn't frontpage. Even Notepad would be great if I could edit the file directly on the server.

Thanks
    Bernn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it now in UltraEdit without the secure connection.

The developer is planning on working in a secure connection part next.

So maybe a few more months and UltraEdit will do this, but as far as I know, none of the big GUI text editors can do this

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CuteFTP Pro works well

I finally found one in CuteFTP pro. It's $60 but works with all kinds of platfors including ssh. It has a built in editor so you can edit the files remotely. Of course you don't actually edit remotely but you get the convenience of doing so.

Thanks for the comments,
    Bernnhugh

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also use WebDrive which allows you to map an FTP or WebDAV server as a drive in Windows and edit directly on it

Costs about $30 I think.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ssh.com/ - lets you double click on the remote file, edit it, save, and it'll automatically reupload the changed version.

There's one big bug which can be annoying/disastrous if you forget about it - if you edit two files with the same name in different directories (e.g. /index.php and /admin/index.php) it uploads any change to either over BOTH of them. Hopefully 3.3 will fix that (IT BETTER!) - then it'll be a perfect program.