SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site header as image...bad practice?

I'm a design newbie with a quick question. So I want to use an unusual font as a site header but I don't want to undermine accessibility since I'm guessing most browsers won't be able to read the font. So I'm thinking that I'll simply turn the font into a jpg and post it as an image and then have an alt function with the header in a normal font. Is this workable or is it bad practice?

Ben

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin323 View Post
    I'm a design newbie with a quick question. So I want to use an unusual font as a site header but I don't want to undermine accessibility since I'm guessing most browsers won't be able to read the font. So I'm thinking that I'll simply turn the font into a jpg and post it as an image and then have an alt function with the header in a normal font. Is this workable or is it bad practice?

Ben
    A better practice is to use css text replacement. The code is almost exactly the same as if it were live text.

http://css-tricks.com/css-image-replacement/

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Cufon because it's just so damn simple to implement, but the @font-face property in CSS3 is rapidly making Cufon, sIFR, and other replacement techniques obsolete. Coyier's article is informative, but a bit dated.