Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem with uploading

Hey guys,

Some general question, can encoding affect the way the website uploads stuff? because i've changed my encoding from windows 1255 to utf 8 (and alot of other CSS changes + added doctype, but i dont belive that what can cause it)

and my uploading page just stopped working, after pressing upload nothing happens, altho on the old files it still works, there's no change at all in the ASP code itself.

old page: (ignore the messed up style if u get it, its because i changed the css file and was too lazy to put it back :P )
    http://sospets.brinkster.net/upload.asp

new page:
    http://sospets.brinkster.net/newsite/upload.asp

thanks for the help

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ulthane View Post
    Hey guys,

Some general question, can encoding affect the way the website uploads stuff? because i've changed my encoding from windows 1255 to utf 8 (and alot of other CSS changes + added doctype, but i dont belive that what can cause it)

and my uploading page just stopped working, after pressing upload nothing happens, altho on the old files it still works, there's no change at all in the ASP code itself.

old page: (ignore the messed up style if u get it, its because i changed the css file and was too lazy to put it back :P )
    http://sospets.brinkster.net/upload.asp

new page:
    http://sospets.brinkster.net/newsite/upload.asp

thanks for the help
    I'm just reaching here but now that you have moved your newsite one directory deeper did you adjust any variables that reference the path to the place you are saving the files to?

ie: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\some-upload-folder

And if you've moved your upload folder you'll need to adjust the permissions to allow saving files to it.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, its all set, there's just nothing happens after pressing the send button. like skips the whole ASP part of the page, and i didn't change anything regarding the way it uploads.

to be sure, im going to change the old uploading page with the new one and see if it uploads.

edit * changed the old upload file with the new one and it didn't upload.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you move the folder your uploading to into the newsite folder as well?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, added all files / folders regarding this uploading page

and the uploading code is excactly the same in both of the files, so the only last thing i can think of is some encoding / doctype problem if there's any relation...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm... Yeah, my guess is that it would have been a permissions thing or a path thing. I haven't ever run into a problem with doctype. By encoding are you talking about the meta tag for content-type?

Edit: I just saw your edit up above about the old script not working in the new folder and I'm back to thinking it's a problem with the path or permissions.