User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BEST PHP editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its definitly not cheap either.

Ive never tried it, I'll remedy that now.......

[one zend tryout session later]

Urm, Nah.

Lots of groovy debugging features that I'd probably never use. But in all honesty it suffers the same problems I find with everything else: Loads of technical debugger stuff, not enough editor stuff.
    Last edited by Phil.Roberts; Dec 21, 2002 at 13:04.
    THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW ARE OLD AND MAY BE INACCURATE.
    THIS INSTALL METHOD IS NOT RECOMMENDED, IT MAY RUN
    OVER YOUR DOG. <-- MediaWiki installation guide

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EditPlus2 and PHPEd

I use editplus2 for quick edits and PHPEd 3.1 (just purchased from NuSphere for $299 ouch!) for developing large projects. Once I used the step-through features of PHPEd there was no turning back.

Now if only I could find a software package like editplus2 that will run on my Jornada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W1LL
    too slow to load on my 433 Celeron!
    I feel for you, bro!

In any event, I second Winsyntax, which is freeware. Pretty bare bones, but does have highlighting and numbering and all the essentials. You can also add and alter the coloring in simple text-based parser files.

I started using it as an alternative to HTML-Kit, which seemed too bloated for my liking.

~~Ian

SitePoint Enthusiast aivarannamaa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SciTE
    http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

* free
    * simple and clean
    * supports many languages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, I think a text editor with syntax highlighting, line numbering and possibly tag completion is what most people will require. The extra features of a full IDE are a little overkill for the average coder and make an editing suite a complicated giant.

The Zend editor was particulalry slow and clunky on my 600MHz Pentium (256Mb RAM) and I hardly used it for the trial period I had it.

I personally choose PHPEd but it drives me mad! Version 2.96 was the last free version and it was pretty buggy, but I am used to the syntax and I like a couple of the features. The feature I like most is automatically switching the syntax highlighting depending on whether you are typing within <?php ?> tags or <html></html> tags.

Nusphere have taken over PHPEd and released their own buggy commercial version (according to this review). For the ludicrous price tag it seemed little had been done to improve it. Now they have released version 3.1 (on Linux too) and I may actually give it a go if I can bear the 18Mb download. If the bugs are finally ironed out I still think it is a little pricey!

Source Edit (http://www.sourceedit.com/) provides a very professional editor with some very good configurable settings. It's free.

Lastly, PHPEdit, another free PHP dedicated editor. Unfortunately it crashed just like PHPEd so I gave up on it. Maybe when it gets to version 1.0 it will be brilliant. I'm not too happy with the syntax highlighting either (I supposed it's what you are used to) but it can be changed easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian: Load time isn't a problem anymore, now I've got my 1.3GhZ Athlon XP 1500+ Laptop, haha!

I still prefer to use basic editors though. Notepad with line numbers and colouring would be perfect.

- Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zend and Dreamweaver MX. 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML-Kit is the best

HTML-Kit is excellent! Don't be confused by the name... it does a great job of highlighting code of all sorts and is free.

http://www.chami.com/

Oh, and DW MX is great too, but way too expensive.