SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face I Dreamed Of A Printer

Last night I dreamed that a printer printed an actual car. No, not an image of a car, but an actual car. When I woke up I tried to remember if I actually saw news stories on new printers that will print actual 3d objects. I searched on the web but have yet to find anything. I thought that would be a groovy new field to get into. So I ask all my SitePoint Friends. Are there emerging printers out there that can actually print real 3d objects or should I call the nearest coo coo farm to take me away?
    Thank you
    I did find this article after printing again: Real Object Printing
    Last edited by Another Designer; Dec 16, 2010 at 07:29. Reason: I found this after searching again.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Call the nearest asylum just in case, but I have a friend who invented a device a few years ago, and the prototypes were spat out by a machine that was very much like a 3D printer. Quite amazing. I think it used lasers etc.

EDIT: When I say spat out, I should add that it took hours for a small object to emerge from the machine, so it's not quick. It cost a lot of money, too.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. Laser printing is actually an older technology than thermal printing. Who'd a thunk?

That is a fascinating article AD. Especially the bit about 3D microfabrication. "Printing" working machines? That's just wacky.
    Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, it would be nice... when you need the car, you print it, use it and if you can't park, you throw it to the bin... because you can always print another one!

I guess that there should be enough colors and tyres and metals in the printer to be able to do so but... it is a choice, I guess