SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    Haha you guys are funny. I mean it seems like people have personalities, I guess I have been here a while and maybe that's just the case.
    I knew what you meant

I was playing with the way you said it and not what you said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    I can't speak for the other Moderators, but I see my share of problem posts.

Trust me, I have a next to zero tolerance for SPAM and the amount of SPAM that gets reported is only roughly a third of the SPAM that gets posted. There are a couple of members (you know who you are) that spot new SPAM posts as fast as I do and more often than not it seems we both spot them at the same time. But not always. Reporting a potential problem helps ensure that it will come to a Moderators attention.
    I don't doubt you have next to 0 tolerance of spam but I'm not convinced enough of your colleague moderators do.

After reporting spam, I still see moderators in "Who's Online" moving from thread to thread replying to posts and some of the replies are even to me. I would have hoped looking through the reported spam posts would be more important to talking to lil' ol' me especially when the matter is not urgent.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I said, there's room of improvement. We do deal with spam as soon as we see it. When you report, an e-mail is sent to all moderators and team leader of that forum (each group of moderators has its own area to work with, although at the end we all clean wherever is needed, be it our area or not).
    It also gets listed on a private forum, where we tick it as handled or not handled.

But in order to know that there's a report

1) You need to check your e-mail at that moment or,
    2) You need to visit the report list

Personally, I'm not looking my e-mail every 5 mins. I have it scheduled to check for new e-mail every min.

I check the list once or twice a day... why don't I do it more often? Well, I have work to do too and I need to take care of my own formation and training, and I have other responsibilities as well.

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalon View Post
    I was playing with the way you said it and not what you said.
    Kalon, let's leave those games for the playground; where they belong huh?
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spam will always be a major problem for any forum, even SP sadly. Until the day comes for a great solution to automaticlly detect spam posts/threads and delete them we all have to do our bit and report them. They will be deleted, just give us chance.

Myself and like many other mentors & mods don't get paid if we did then fair enough, I'd pack my job in and work for SP full time, who wouldn't. All we ask is to bare with us and thank you.
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence_noodle View Post
    All we ask is to bare with us ...
    bear with us = have patience

bare with us = let's get undressed together

lol
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    I wonder if they are every going to update their logo, its kind of cool but it feels like it's getting a little rusty (The little arrows). They should add a barely visible gradient on those colors, BAM, good to go LOL.
    Like this?
    Salathe
    Software Developer and PHP Manual Author.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post

lol
    hahaha priceless
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post

lol
    Oh dear, it's not my day! My self conscience must be telling me to go to bed for some sleep.

Well at least I put a smile on your faces, and turned mine red.

Merry xmas
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep no problem

we're all busy and have other things to do and where reporting/deleting spam sits on members' lists of priorities can vary greatly.

I'll continue reporting spam if it doesn't interfere with my doing "other things" and if I feel there is a high probability of it being deleted before I log off.

I know that if I report it or not, it will most likely be gone by the next time I log in anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySterling View Post
    Kalon, let's leave those games for the playground; where they belong huh?
    if you don't have access to delete the post then instead of wasting my time with more fluff why not click that little orange flag, which we are all being encouraged to click, and report it as fluff (if you haven't already done so) and let the moderators decide whether it should be deleted or not.

There are many similar types of posts all over the place by various members.

I'm happy to abide by whatever the mods. decide.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you don't have access to delete the post then instead of wasting my time with more fluff why not click that little orange flag, which we are all being encouraged to click, and report it as fluff (if you haven't already done so) and let the moderators decide whether it should be deleted or not.

There are many similar types of posts all over the place by various members.

I'm happy to abide by whatever the mods. decide.
    What the moderators say is that people are free to say whatever they choose as long as they're respectful with others and considerate to their feelings.

That's also indicates that you have to take constructive criticism when necessary, in the very same way that we all do.

Anthony's comment is not fluff. He's letting you know that your comment doesn't feel quite right in his opinion. It is supposed to make you think, not to get you defensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, totally agree he is entitled to express his opnion just as I and everyone else is entitled to theirs.

I expressed my opinion in reply.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I accept that mods. might have a higher priority of helping others by replying to posts in threads or doing "other things", but the side effect of that, for me at least, is that it takes away a lot of incentive to even flag the posts especially if I am expecting to log off soon.
    if I now see spams appearing in various threads but I know that within say 30 minutes I will be logging off I probably wouldn't take the time to flag the posts because I feel they will most likely still be there when I log off
    I probably won't flag spam if I know I will be logging off in say half an hour or so.

and that is because imho it is likely they will still be there when I log off. I don't see my not reporting spam in this case as worse because seeing there is very little, if any, spam left behind in the 6 or so forums on this site I regularly stumble around in I know the mods will eventually delete them whether I report them or not.

I probably would not take the time to flag it if I expect to be logging off before the spam is likely to be deleted.
    I'll continue reporting spam if it doesn't interfere with my doing "other things" and if I feel there is a high probability of it being deleted before I log off.
    Kalon, please forgive me if this comes across as rude or tickles a nerve (that's not the intention).

Please, think of people other than yourself.

From what you've been saying in this thread, your primary reason for not reporting a thread is that someone will deal with it eventually. That's true, since the moderating staff here are good at what they do even if they're not always the first to spot (and therefore remove) spam in every instance.

Kalon, even if you're looking to log off soon and/or don't see any moderators lurking around please report the spam anyway because the moderators will get around to it and the chances are (if this works the same as other forums I've moderated on) they will get around to it faster if there has been a report.

Whether you'll be online when that happens, or not, should be irrelevant. Are you really so selfish of mind that reporting posts is primarily a call-to-action for the moderators to make your browsing a better experience?
    Salathe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
    Are you really so selfish of mind that reporting posts is primarily a call-to-action for the moderators to make your browsing a better experience?
    I don't see it as being selfish at all.

I have already been reminded that moderators are not at my beck and call and I have no issue with that at all.

But the flip side is that I am at no-one's beck and call either, well not for free at least, and so I will continue to report spam, as I have already said I will, as long as it doesn't interfere with whatever else I might be doing at the time and if I felt it is likely to be deleted before I log off.

Instead of trying to get me to drop whatever else I might be doing at the time just to report a spam post, which I believe will be eventually deleted anyway, would it not be better to try to convince those who choose to not report spam at all to at least start reporting spam?

I think the idea that someone else suggested earlier in this thread to have an award for members who report the most spam has some merit and should be considered. If not an award, then perhaps some other kind of incentive.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would it not be better to try to convince those who choose to not report spam at all to at least start reporting spam?
    Why should they (myself included) report posts, which as you say are going to get eventually deleted anyway?
    Salathe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should they (myself included) report posts, which as you say are going to get eventually deleted anyway?
    if you think they shouldn't or at best it should be optional for them, then why are you asking me to report spam below at all?

I have already said I will report spam and the conditions under which I am happy to report it, so I don't see the point you are trying to make.

It makes no difference to me whether others report spam or not because I believe it will be deleted eventually, but since you are of the opinion it will be deleted faster if the spam is reported I would have thought you would want as many people reporting spam as possible.

Kalon, even if you're looking to log off soon and/or don't see any moderators lurking around please report the spam anyway because the moderators will get around to it and the chances are (if this works the same as other forums I've moderated on) they will get around to it faster if there has been a report.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    oh for crying out loud, kalon, give it a rest

your petulance is really annoying

i would've PMed this opinion to you, but you don't care to receive PMs, so i have to make it public
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's ok

what's preventing you from putting me on your ignore list?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    you're pissing in the pool

ignoring you doesn't make it any more enjoyable
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then report any posts that annoy you to the moderators.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    984 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Ok, time to drop it now Kalon.

This started out as a nice thread and it's quickly going downhill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep no problem as long as people stop questioning the conditions under which I am happy to report spam which are totaly at my discretion just like everyone else can choose to report spam or not.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    984 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Yup - everyone will stop the reporting discussion now. I think all relevant points have been made.