SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes my parents are worried if I ever go outside, but actually I am very active and spend a lot of time outside. My father can hardly move a folder from the desktop to another folder without asking how to do it!

At the beginning my father diddent want his credit card number out on the net, but then I explained the security when it was encrypted with SSL. Then I got my domain.

My mother doesn't think a computer and all the other technology is necessary like mobile phones and FAX. A little Amish!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that contrary to may other parents out there, when im in need of money for my online businesses, theyll loan it out to me, they also give me business tips and fully support me doing what i love!!

I guess im just a happy guy!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a not:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>How Amish<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was walking down the street once when I saw an Amish person driving down the street on while talking on a cellular. Even they are being "high-tech."

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

ThinkHost.com - I haven't had this much fun bothering tech support in a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great! I just posted for the first time here yesterday. I happened to pop in here and this thread caught my eye! First off, I AM a parent (mom)..I really enjoyed all these posts. Speaking as a parent though,try to go easy on some of those that are griping at you all the time, etc. Actually they are just plain ole worried that you spend too much time online! This very young talent just amazes me...looks like some of the parents understand this. Me? Well, Ive been online several years now, and the first thing I ever did was CHAT on mIRC. I did that for 2 years, then expanded out into HTML, and web design, then later into web hosting. I RARELY ever chat now because after awhile I get bored with it. I LEARNED there are countless resources, alot for FREE for learning, for example look at this whole site? Also look at all the online classes that are available?
    My son is pretty much a whiz when it comes to "parts" etc...he also likes to build his own, he is also into gaming, but helps me when the need arises, and is now getting into some design work. The last 2 years in school his networking teacher would ASK him to do specific things regarding the computer!
    Do you or any of your parents ever watch the TV show...Call For Help/ZDNet channel, of course everyone knows the website, but the tv show may actually help some of the parents perspective.
    For the persone who posted about his mom playing games? I wonder, have you ever "shown your mom or dad HOW TO surf the internet"....I think alot of the parents do not know HOWTO do things, and I will guarantee they will find something of interest IF they know where to go, AND how to get there!! There is a topic of interest for all! I will def. be watching this thread )
    Thanks....I really enjoyed it!!

------------------
    Martie
    HostCaters.Com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Marty after reading your post I've decided that it all depends on how you look at it. It's a completely different thing when you look at it in your perspective.

You're saying maybe if some of us teach our parents about computers, they will understand what we're doing and why we're doing it....

------------------
    -------------------------
    Timothy

MSN: TimothyD2000

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote]
    For the persone who posted about his mom playing games? I wonder, have you ever "shown your mom or dad HOW TO surf the internet"....
    [quote]

They know how, but don't do it for "pleasure." My mom is into things like Beenz and "Find the money in the tree" kinda things. My dad uses it for his work/communication and books all flights (he travels about 3 times a month) and most hotel stays online.

[added]Actually, after talking to my mom, I've discovered that she does a lot of research for things. Such as looking up gardening information. [/added]

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

ThinkHost.com - I haven't had this much fun bothering tech support in a long time.

[This message has been edited by richjb (edited July 05, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by richjb:
    Just a not:

I was walking down the street once when I saw an Amish person driving down the street on while talking on a cellular. Even they are being "high-tech."

Richard

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just my mother, she doesn't believe us humans are doing the right thing when expanding and making tons of new high-tech stuff, like freezer's that send an email to a store or the owner that there isn't any more ice cream!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lars: really? I think technology is wonderful...it puts mankind's creativity on display for all to see...it's amazing that we can do what we do with computers...and guess what's next? Molecular computing. Imagine this: a Palm Pilot with a 50GB hard drive.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWT: wait, and you will see something like that in a matter of years.

One day we will have computer chip upgrades that make us smarter.

Joe: "I want to learn Calculus!"
    Computer: "Here is your chip for Advanced Calculus."

Wouldn't that be interesting?

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ala "The Matrix", eh?

Yes I know: molecular computing is on its way...amazing, isn't it?

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! just like in the Matrix!

Doh...wish I had thought of just pointing out that little scene.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm. Do you think they'll make a chip for doing great graphics? I need it...

------------------
    ------------
    Timothy

MSN: TimothyD2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Topic.

Well, as soon as I went online, I wanted to learn how to make a website, I got better and better, and I told my parents I would really like to work around computers, mainly web design and graphics. They where cool about it, but I think it puzzled them.

My stepdad has a TV show on community televsion (in Australia, the stations website is at www.channel31.com.au i think...)

Anyway, I started talking about websites with my stepdad (who I shall call Muzza) he said it sounded like a good idea, and when the show became more popular he would think about it.

2 months later 'Cruizin' (Muzza's show) was the most popular show on channel 31 and was also beating some of the car shows on the commercial stations (though he still isnt making as much money as he should).

Couple of weeks ago we where eating dinner, and he brought up the website issue again, but, and this is the part that upset me, he said he was getting somebody else to do it, and it was costing him quite a bit of cash. I told him I would do it for 1/20th of that price (even free) and his reply was "Yes but we dont have a server to put it on" I said "Just put it on a free server that doesnt make you put ads on your site and point your domain name or whatever to it" He shook his head and walked off, and we havent talked about it since.

Before you all start saying "maybe your not that good" or "bla bla bla" He knows I'm fairly good at web design and can make a decent site. I think the people who are making this site are scamming him (to harsh a word?). He knows nothing of how the web works, he knows nothing about free servers or paying for a server.

Hmmm this has gone a bit to far, and has moved away from the topic, but anyway, thats an example of what its like... for me.

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh MAN! That was a pretty funny post.

I'm still laughing.

On a side note.. to the guy who's dad runs the tv show... I know the feeling. My step-dad asked me for a site to compliment his home inspection business. I consulted with him twice for a total of about 6 hours. Then I went and designed the site...another 6 hours or so.

When I present the finished product to him for review... he tells me he just paid some guy a $500 deposit to do a website. So now he still owes the guy another $500!!

I'll never do business with family again.

------------------
    www.gimmeabuck.com &lt;-- Have you given me a buck yet!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by d3v:
    Imagine seeing Al Gore read his acceptance speech, then turn dark blue and hear him say "Oh Ex Oh Oh Oh Oh Nine Seven Capital-E Capital-J ... Your computer will now be restarted" then wait for 3 minutes, then he'd keep talking like normal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was Al Gove talking like normal?

Sorry to hear that your father feels that way Russell...It sounds obvious that these guys loaded him up with techno-jargon and made him feel like going with anything other than them would leave him in the dust...after hearing all those complicated terms he probably can't imagine it being so simple than his son could handle it on his own...

Dunno if "scam" is the right word...depends on how much its costing him and what he's getting in return...but one thing's for sure: there's no shortage of web design/development firms that are ripping computer-iliterate people off.

------------------

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Chips inside you head hmmmm, sounds good but I hope they dont run wndows 9* as imagine if it crashed . Imagine explaining to your boss that you couldn't have done any work 'cause you was still booting up.

Fletch

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neh, if a company like Micros*** starts developing software for human upgrades... Would be something like Doomsday. Just imagine: you're talking to a person and suddenly he doesn't say anything back, or starts uttering strange noises, SYSTEMCRASH (or BSOD, General Protection Fault or how you call those standard parts of MS software...)

But this is just b******t, 'cause there will be no real difference between hardware and software if it's integrated in our body, although you could extend the normal capabilities of humans.

------------------
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine seeing Al Gore read his acceptance speech, then turn dark blue and hear him say "Oh Ex Oh Oh Oh Oh Nine Seven Capital-E Capital-J ... Your computer will now be restarted" then wait for 3 minutes, then he'd keep talking like normal.

Hey, when we live in a world domina~1 by MICROS~1 we have to rememb~1 that they aren't bugs, they'r~1 undocu~1-mented featur~1s.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HEy man- I get channel 31 at my house- I'm impressed- what time is the show on?

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, I just realised that that was post 102!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! You've broken the barrier...it's all downhill from there

Anyone here live in Pittsburgh?

------------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Pittsburgh for my first month of the summer. We we/are considering moving there.

Richard

------------------
    richard@brevig.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Kaufman lives pretty close to Pittsburgh. I think Lanaster?

------------------
    qslack@aboutpcs.com
    AboutPCs - think of a tagline and WIN!
    read my mind

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Kaufman lives in Lancaster PA.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argh Lancaster??...Hey SitePoint guys, you got any room out there in Australia?

If you live close enough you can see my father, Jerry Bowyer, on Channel 31 (PCNC) hosting "Pennsylvania Newsmakers"...or you can hear him on the radio from 6-9am weekdays on WPTT 1360 AM...great show.

------------------