SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help: document.getElementById().getElementsByTagName()

Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't (and doesn't) work?

Code JavaScript:
    document.getElementById("tableSelector").getElementsByTagName("table")[0].setAttribute("id","tableid");

By the way, Corporate Headquarters has programmers who write all the page-building stuff. When they are done, they send me the code to fix it. Convenient, eh? So although I wish I could change some of the processes, I have to deal with what they give me. In other words, I cannot change certain aspects, such as assigning random IDs to elements.

Context:

• I am looking for a certain DIV on my page, and I can easily find it, since it has a known ID (tableSelector).

• Inside that DIV is one table with a random ID that gets regenerated every time the page loads.

• Although that table has a class, I cannot work with the CSS, because that class is global -- and I only need to (or, I am only allowed to) make fixes to this one particular table.

• So, I need to get that table's random ID and replace it with an ID that I can add to the stylesheet.

Any suggestions, links or examples would be greatly appreciated. I have noodled around on this all morning, and I'm going slightly mad.

Let me say it in advance, thanks!

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Are you running the script from the head section of the page?

Other than that, nothing appears to be "wrong" with the script, so that leaves us with a conflict in how it's interacting with the HTML.

Please show us the HTML code that the script is supposed to be manipulating.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for you reply. I really appreciate it.

In a nutshell, it's a PHP page that generates the classes, then a JS page constructs the whole page.

I think I have figured it out. Some of the elements aren't on the page yet (haven't loaded yet) when I make the calls. So I added a function that checks whether the elements exist, if not, setTimeout and try running the function again, until it works.

It's a bit of a Neanderthal approach, but for now it will have to do.