SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I see with this type of "journalism" is that it not only affects more mature community but kids can witness them as well. And it sends very negative impact on young children's minds. I am not saying I'm against it or that I'm for it, but suffice me to say that there should be a way to keep our children from knowing these leaks.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardcosbyson View Post
    I am not saying I'm against it or that I'm for it, but suffice me to say that there should be a way to keep our children from knowing these leaks.
    That's the parents' responsibility, not anyone else's.
    Saul

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While I'm torn on the issues surrounding the situation - the need for transparency vs the lives at stake (i.e. the released names of the Afghani nationals) or how release of the list of national security concerns may have caused them to become targets - I do find a couple things amusing:
    First thought is "pot calling kettle?"
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    While I'm torn on the issues surrounding the situation - the need for transparency vs the lives at stake (i.e. the released names of the Afghani nationals) or how release of the list of national security concerns may have caused them to become targets - I do find a couple things amusing:

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    The whole point of diplomatic cables is to provide an unvarnished and accurate view of the situation on the ground to people back in the home country.

Once you start sanitizing everything, it loses it's value. If a leader is a pedophile douchebag with a foot fetish, then let them write that instead of having to massage this sort of information just in case someone decides to leak the cable later. That's going to be the end result of this leak, things will cease to be written down and when they are they will be completely innocuous just in case.
    My point isn't to sanitize the cables, it's that they really need to be a bit more professional with their observations. You can think someone is a pedophile douchebag with a foot fetish and you might even decide to mention that in a discussion but as soon as anything is written down, it doesn't matter how secret, it is open to scrutiny and we're talking about top level government people so they should probably work on their "big boy" words.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some more time to review bits and pieces that have been popping up over the last few weeks and I think there has been some benefit from these leaks and that is that it has given a lot of people pause to really consider how they feel about secrecy as well as what they think of their government's position in the world.

Off Topic:

As a side note, I find it interesting (and scary) how often various government dignitaries interfere with other countries on behalf of corporations. It's interesting how much political push RIAA and Monsanto have.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    This is off-topic. But possibly true.

Off Topic:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...on-d34xwuj.jpg image of teh WikiLeaks story from DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell View Post
    Bwahahahaha

Turnabout is fair play! That's awesome.

Edit - Molona, this floor is big enough for the both of us.
    Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tk
    It's not a diplomat's job to censor the facts, it's their job to report them in an unvarnished and accurate fashion.
    What I read sounded like personal opinion, not facts. Useless. Oh Johnny hates Ali and thinks he smells! woo woo.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell
    haha, Yeah the irony there is pretty funny.

But I think there's something to be said about leaking the records of a private individual vs. leaking the public ongoings of a country's government.

Because I do think a country's citizens have a right to know what's actually being done in their name, especially when unethical actions could put its citizens in harm's way.

So, ignoring Assange and Wikileaks, would you say the idea of a whistle-blowing website is invalid?

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whistle blowing = good
    Whistle blowing site = bad

Any time you try to take the lazy route of institutionalizing, the original intent invariably becomes a forgotten and over-invoked justification.

Institutionalized whistle blowing will just increase secrecy to even more unsafe levels, ergo extreme measures will 'need' to be taken to acquire/protect the secrets about those secrets.
    By its very nature, whistle blowing is highly disposed to mirroring the exact 'injustices' it's supposed to expose.

It's much like the way SE technological gyrations have in large part helped create a new breed of super spammer; lean, mean and smart.

Just my

On a lighter note: Jesus
    Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLZ
    Any time you try to take the lazy route of institutionalizing, the original intent invariably becomes a forgotten and over-invoked justification.
    I don't get what you mean.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What countries benefited from the leaks? What countries were not mentioned?

SitePoint Enthusiast Chronister's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is an issue that requires critical analysis. transparency or not i think some issues are better left to be secrets and on a need to know basis for the grater good. leaking such information is careless and immoral

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronister View Post
    this is an issue that requires critical analysis. transparency or not i think some issues are better left to be secrets and on a need to know basis for the grater good. leaking such information is careless and immoral
    That may be so but after reviewing some of the cables (just a skimming from the top) that were released gives me pause to consider how much backroom dealing is being done that doesn't benefit the citizens of the nations involved and instead benefits corporations or lobbying groups.

This is a wake-up call that governments and government officials need to re-evaluate who it is that they are working for. Is is for special interest groups and corporations like RIAA, Monsanto, Oil companies, etc... or the citizens who they are supposed to serve.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, is anything classified, is there anything you shouldn't know about? I think we can handle pretty much anything, or at least I can. All our information is available to other people, why can't we know whats going on.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the WikiLeaks scenario is out of hand, it's ok the odd bit of news about government coverup, but releasing classified information, such as the location of power plants in case of a nuclear outbreak is just dangerous

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with any whistleblowing activities itís a fine line between what's good for the public and what needs to actually stay classified. I'm sure it's no surprise that many situations are classified if for no other reason than the public would be mad as hell if they found out. This isn't a good reason to be a secret; it's a good reason not to do it. If the situation is classified to protect lives, then this is another matter. Again as my topic says itís a fine line. Here are two examples:

1. Halliburton getting a no bid contract worth over a billion dollars. This was actually classified until too many people started talking about it and going crazy. Even now this highly unethical act is rarely discussed in public forums. This needs to be revealed.
    2. The names of U.S. Operatives that are on assignment. Regardless of what these folks are doing they depend on anonymity to do their jobs and often times to stay alive. This stays classified even if their actions don't.

Secrecy should protect people, not ideas.