SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on alternate approach to admin area

Please take a look at this site - http://www.nordstromsauto.com/ (I didn't design so I am not really asking for a review)

A developer and a client both like this approach for designing the home page of an administration area for a Web-site. I don't think I've made up my mind yet.

It kinda reminds me of the Packard Bell software on Windows 3.0. It looked like an office with desk drawers, shelves, and a filing cabinet. You would click on drawers and books associated with what you wanted to do.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of "Microsoft Bob", which flopped but with the right graphic repersentation I imagine this could look good and be easy to understand.

In other words... I think it all depends on the execution.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea. Bad execution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting (that example site looks a bit tacky though) but I really don't see how it would bring any actual benefit to the navigation for an administration area. An admin area is something people use every day to get their work done - as such they need to be able to use it quickly and effectively. A simple menu with a set of options accompanied by descriptions seems to me like a far more productive way of working.

Also, I don't like the idea of using Flash in an admin menu (although that effect could be achieved without Flash). Why? Because you can't chose to open-link-in-new-window in Flash. In an admin menu there is a good chance you might want to open several windows with different options all at once, so keeping links as normal HTML has a big benefit. Of course if none of your users are "power users" who are in to the whole multiple browser window thing this won't be a proble, but it is still worth considering.