SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Font sizes in Netscape 4

An interesting question. Well, I like to think so ...

In IE, you have five pre-defined font sizes. Normally, you design sites to look best at medium, and hopefully you are considerate to users who change their font sizes up or down. Fine ... but what about Netscape 4?

How do you know what the default setting is?

In IE, I know when my font is at default setting of medium, but in Netscaep 4, I only know that I can step fonts up and down. How the heck do I know when I've got the middle notch, so to speak ...

And another thing: just how many notches are there either side of the elusive default setting?

Anyone have any insight to this?
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D-oh!!! You went and made me get curious, and now I've screwed up my default too!!

You can get your default font from the preferences (it seems to be 12 points) but how the hell you reset it once you've started messing around, God knows!

So far as I can tell, bigger goes on forever! Then I kept hitting smaller over and over and when it had got as small as it could it reset itself to default .... odd.

In Netscape's defence though, I guess it doesn't really matter what the default is cos if your customising the font size, what do you care where it started as long as you've set it right for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it doesn't really matter what the default is cos if your customising the font size, what do you care where it started as long as you've set it right for you!
    I guess the issue is that once we've tinkered and lost our default settings, we don't know what the default is, and a lot of people will not have touched font sizes, therefore anything you do as a web designer is based on what you think is the default size.

People may well be able to change their font sizes, but if they don't know that they can, then your design may look duff. And if they do work out how to change the size for your site, they may well screw it up for other sites ... and then how do they know how to get back to the default size?

Maddening isn't it :-)
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly is. How about getting around this by making your own interface for changing font sizes if it really is an issue on a site you're working with. Obviously setting absolute font sizes in pixels is severely frowned upon, but what if you set a series of different absolute font sizes in a style sheet from BIG to small that users can control with a drop down menu?

I would personally leave the browser to it, but if you really wanted that element of control then you could satisfy usability requirements AND design your site to look good big and small.

G

Ps -- I actually think the Netscape 4 system of 'as large as you want' is far better than the IE scale of 1 to 5 system for someone with eyesight problems.