SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: H-e-l-p !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H-e-l-p !!!

O.K. i'm going to sound like a fool but nobody laugh.... I own a wholesale company and need to put together a database of my products for another companys website to tap into, I need to include a image or image url item number price and description.....So here's my problem I know NOTHING and I emphasize NOTHING about how to do this not even what kind of software to use, any body got any advice ? or can somebody at least tell me what kind of software to get?

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would really be an easy database to set up. In fact, I've made a more complex system than this myself quite recently. I take it this is going to be web based?

You can spend as much money and have as good a solution as you want really. It would only take a developer a day, if that, to make this for you. Probably just a few hours actually. (If you go the route of hiring a developer to make this for you bespoke then if they try to say it will take longer than that, laugh in their face! )

Implementation-wise, if I were doing this I would write a couple of ASP scripts (that's my preferred programming environment though there are other ways -- for example this forum uses PHP scripts) and use whatever database means you had already (this forum is probably MySQL). But let's say you already have MS Excel -- well an MS Excel spreadsheet can be used quite happily as a database -- especially since you've only got three fields. Some people would cry "Noooo! SQL SQL SQL!!!" but I'd say "Er, sledgehammer -- nut .... ?" See what I mean?

You'd set up your FOUR columns in Excel. Unique ID field (probably autonumber -- that way every record has something unique about it that you can use to retrieve it), description, price and image URL. Set up your DSN (that's the way you allow your web-based scripts to connect to your database and retrieve/add/amend data) and your database is ready to be manipulated.

In terms of images (as you'll have noticed above) I personally favour the image URL option. I could store the image in a file field in a database, but the way I see it, databases are designed for storing data, file systems are designed for storing files. So let databases store data and file systems store files! Place your image in a folder and store it's relative path in the database. IMHO that's the best way to do it.

As for off the shelf s/w -- I have no idea what's out there. As I say, I would build something like this myself. Someone else may have suggestions though.

Good luck!

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, if I can use a spreadsheet I'll just do that, I don't have excell but I've got Corel Quattro Pro which is there version of excell. One more question how do I do the unique I.D. thing.....I'm new to this stuff.....can anybody tell

Thanks again for all advice.

One more thing you must know something I don't (I'm sure you do) You said I could do it in about a day.....Please tell me how, I've got about 3,000 items going into this.
    Last edited by rapio; Aug 9, 2002 at 20:50.