SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamwaever MX error

I have been using Dreamwaever MX for a short time and have loved it till today. Every time I try to "put" a file, I get the following error:

---------

While executing DWMenu_Site_Put command in menus.xml, the following Javascript error(s) occurred:

exception throw in native function

----------

Any one know what this error is or causing it?

I've been using DW's ftp features for some time, and never had a problem with it, as I've read other do. And even MX was working fine till today.

I seached the macromedia site and found little reference to the error. It did mention a corrupt menus.xml file and replacing it with a back up. There was a menus.bak, which I renamed to menus.xml, but still the same error. I am guessing both menus.* files are corrupt?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling DW mx?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that was a thought. I was hoping that would be a last resort. I put alot of code and set up all my sites, so hate to start over. But it looks like I may not have a choice.

Any other MX users having problems? I really like MX, hate to see it have bugs.

ronnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah MX is the most buggy version of Dreamweaver to date

I have had various Javascript errors in various XML files just like you.

I have also had dreamweaver close one me "fatal exception" when renaming form fields and the line numbering starting from a strange number rather than 1
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem was fixed with a uninstall and re-install, not a problem since.

As far as MX being buggy, I dont see it. I have'nt used it that long, but the above is the only problem I've had. And I did mess with the menus and such, so maybe it was my fault. Course I did'nt touch the menus.xml that i remember.

Anyways, I have always loved the dreamweaver line with very few problems. I dont know if I'd blame a fatal error on MX, I would guess thats windows myself.

Besides the one problem, MX has worked without any other hitchs for me.

ronnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you find MX a little slow to work with? For example if you have 5 documents open and switch to a different tab sometimes it can take about 20 seconds plus for that tab to be displayed, in which time DW stops responding in the process.

However it is still a great app, just a little slow and unresponsive with a few bugs but to be honest I haven't had so many problems recently, just it has been a little unresponsive when switching tabs and some updates take a few seconds to show in design view.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, Dreamweaver has always been a resource hog. I think it really depends on your system and mainly memory. When I was running older versions on a slow machine and less memory, yes it did get slow and take forever, it seemed, to move on.

I dont have a screaming system now, pent 3 833 with 512 ram and it runs great for me. I've had over 10 pages open at a time and never really noticed a problem.

To me MX, using the homesite style/set-up they have the best of both worlds. The options/features I like about Dreamweaver and the features/options I liked about homesite, all in one. Now, I use one app instead of two for html, php, ect. I also really like the ease of adding code snippets, the older versions, it was kind of a pain.

My only wish would be, to able to customize some toolbars/menu's more. Make my own toolbar so I would'nt have to switch them all the time. Course maybe that can be done too, I just dont know how to do it...

ronnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Don't get me wrong I really like Dreamweaver MX! I use it all the time.

Today it has been running better, I have less tabs open, I think that slows it down allot on my system. Also the PHP support isn't so hot and that tends to give a few problems in terms of speed and stability. But apart from that Dreamwevaer MX gets a thumbs up from me!

Central, PA - originally from Monterey, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way to speed up Dreamweaver a bit:

If you have a lot of extensions installed consider cutting down on some. Use the extensions manager to de-select or select the extensions you need. Yes it requires a restart of Dreamweaver, but generally you can have an idea of the extensions you'll need for developing that day.

best reagrds,
    worksdev