SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver w/Frontpage 2002

I read a review from a web designer who says that she uses Dreamweaver in conjunction with Frontpage 2002 because they can both do things the other can't.

Has anyone who has used both of these programs found this to be true?

Thanks,
    Carolyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess this means no?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible to use both programs to access an HTML file.
    The major issue becomes the different features are not always seen by the other program. With Dreamweavers way to create cells does not always show up the same way in FrontPage. This can cause problems. If it does work for you do the last look in Dreamweaver and use the clean up HTML feature this will help to speed your page loading. Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Damath. Regarding Frontpage, I've read other posts here on the forums and I'm getting the impression that most people here think FP kind of sucks? Maybe it does. I've ordered Dreamweaver and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Who knows, maybe I'll also end up thinking FP sucks after learning DW. Yet, the very first HTML editor I learned on was Frontpage Express (it came installed on the computer I bought) and so I'm used to it and the FP 2002 demo to me seems like a tremendous improvement and something I wouldn't mind owning.

Carolyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major difference that I Found is that Dreamweaver is more user friendly than FrontPage. DW is much easier to create good looking sites with, you can do the same with FP but a lot of the features are hidden back in the menus. I am sure that once you learn DW you will think the same as every one else about FP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

leswhaley, I like you been using FP since it started, it used to be kind of hard at first but once MS took it to 2000 and now 2002 It's gotten better at least in my opinion. I have so much more control and ease over the complete site than I do with DW (and this is without using any of FP components) But I've recently been testing DW also, well DW Ultra Dev4. I've found that I can build a complete site in no time using FP then if I need any kind of database thing going, I open it in DW Ultra Dev4 and do all my database connections in DW, this is because DW has a much better and simpler way to get all that database stuff done in just a few clicks and so much more control without having to know too much database programming . . I use FP for all my web designs and DW for when I need any backend work. . . I find it easy for me this way.
    Danny Cols
    -------------------------------
    "He who laughs last, thinks the slowest."
    www.nicerimage.com

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have ..and still do think that fp is rubbish but the intranet at my work was designed in it and it looks ace...but i still wouldnt use it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I started hand-coding a long time ago, I started off using FrontPage, and tried to switch to DreamWeaver. I found FP to be much better. Just my opinion of course.

I'd actually suggest using EditPlus to hand code pages, but that's another argument altogether.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love FrontPage, i have FP and Dreamweaver MX, when im bored and fed up with FP i may give DW a go, but it looks compicated, FP is simple!
    www.bcfcfanzone.tk

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really down to personal preference. I don't like FrontPage because (historically) it produced terrible code, and didn't give you easy access to it, and it randomly "helped" you by changing things you didn't want changing. It is my understanding that these problems are now much improved, but the whole "Front Page Extension" thing imho goes against the whole spirit of the web, making it a non-starter...

As to DW ... there is a reason it's the industry standard.

I've NEVER been into a design house and seen FrontPage open. I've also never been to one and not seen Dreamweaver somewhere. I have been to many design houses in my professional capacity.

Nothing is better that a thorough understanding of yer code - and that is an ongoing challenge as your skills develop and standards change....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS