SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist CyberFuture's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you setup Apache for network access???

I'm trying to setup Apache so that anybody on our NT network can have access to some web page via localhost. These web pages need to be in PHP hence the need for Apache. I'm currently playing with PHPDev4. I've reconfig Apache to point to a folder on a differnt hard drive on the same computer. It works fine as long as I'm at that computer. If I go to another computer on the network, localhost draws a blank. Any idea why this is not working? Am I trying to do the impossible?

Can PHP be set up to run by itself?
    Last edited by CyberFuture; Aug 7, 2002 at 12:02.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is an add-on to apache, not a default install.

"localhost" means the local machine (hence the local part), so while sitting at the machine its all on, then yes typing localhost in the browser window will work fine, moving to a different computer and typing localhost in the browser means you are telling that browser to find the web pages stored on that particular machine.

The best way to do see the web pages from the main web machine, on another machine is to type in the IP address of the machine that has the web pages on it.

What I mean is, say the computer that has the web pages on it (the one you installed apache on) has an IP of 192.168.100.1 (private range IP address), then you go sit at a computer on your local network, with an IP address of 192.168.100.2 sitting at the .2 computer, open up the web browser and instead of typing www.domain.com as you would normally, just type in 192.168.100.1 that will show you the web pages of the .1 computer. LIkewise if you are sitting at the .1 computer, opening a browser and typing in 192.168.100.1 or typing in localhost will give the same result.

So in a nuthsell, localhost, is specific to the local machine, and PHP isn't a standard install with apache (unless it's changed since I installed it )

References to look at:

www.php.net
    www.apache.org
    http://www.htmltutorials.net/localhost.html

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that was very helpfull.

How do I find the IP address of a specific computer?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you first set up the computer you probably assigned an IP address. Unless you are using NetBui (spelling?) to run through your network, or if using a Novel Network you might be using IPX/SPX

If you are using XP etc, then I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but I know that two XP machines seem to talk to one another fairly easily. I would recommend setting the computers up with IP addresses though, especially if you are going to be doing local web sites (Intranet).

For NT machines:
    http://www.colostate.edu/services/acns/bulls/cm06.html

For 95/98 machines:
    http://www.colostate.edu/services/ACNS/bulls/cm05.html

General LAN setup: (includes IP info)
    http://www.netsimple.co.uk/users/mer...ware_setup.htm

*edit*
    Sorry, to find an Ip on a computer you go to start, run, type in "command" if on a windows 9x machine, or "cmd" if on an NT/2K machine (without the " marks)
    then in the DOS box type winipcfg if on 9x machine or ipconfig if on NT/2K machine.
    Last edited by resellerspace; Aug 7, 2002 at 18:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem