Issue with my links - relative paths?

Hi,

i have just been passed on to finish of a website for somebody. Right now, i am trying to add html links to some of the drop down navigation menus. The drop-down i am currently working on is called ‘Applicants’ with the following undearneath:

Information for Applicants
Training courses
Enrolment Information
Benefits of Working

here is html code snippet of what i have done so far:

<div id="menu">
	<ul class="dropdown">
        	<li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
        	<li><a class="current">Applicants</a>
        		<ul class="sub_menu">
        			  <li><a href="applicants.html">Information for Applicants</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/training-courses.html">Training Courses</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/enrolment-info.html">Enrolment Information</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="#">Benefits of Working</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="#">Improving Career Prospects</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="#">Career Advice</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="#">Success Stories</a></li>
        		</ul>
        	</li>

When i load my webpage(index.html) up and click on the ‘Applicants’ menu button i get directed to the applicants.html page. After i have done this and begin clicking each link 1 by 1, i am able click on the links, however, when i get down to ‘Enrolment Information’ and click it, i get an error message:

The requested URL /Free2Learn/Free2learn_Website_Version_1/applicants/enrolment-info.html was not found on this server.

However, it seems that instead of having ‘applicants_fld’ in it’s file path, it has ‘applicants’.

Secondly, after seeing this error, when i hit the back button and click the ‘Training Courses’ link, i also get the same error, but for the new file:

[B]
The requested URL /Free2Learn/Free2learn_Website_Version_1/applicants/training-courses.html was not found on this server.

[/B]

Here is the file path:

C:\wamp\www\Free2Learn\Free2learn_Website_Version_1\applicants_fld

file structure:
www\Free2Learn - flder
Free2learn_Website_Version_1 - folder
-> applicants.html
-> index.html

applicants_fld -folder
-> training-courses.html
-> enrolment-info

<div id="menu">
	<ul class="dropdown">
        	<li><a class="current">Home</a></li>
        	<li><a href="applicants.html">Applicants</a>
        		<ul class="sub_menu">
        			 <li><a href="applicants.html">Information for Applicants</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/training-courses.html">Training Courses</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/enrolment-info.html">Enrolment Information</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/benefit-of-work.html">Benefits of Working</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/improve-career-prospects.html">Improving Career Prospects</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/career-advice.html">Career Advice</a></li>
        			 <li><a href="./applicants_fld/success-stories.html">Success Stories</a></li>
        		</ul>
        	</li>

Please can somebody tell me why i get the error on when i click on my enrolment link and why that everytime i go back, i get the same error for another link? This seems to happen often and could be to do with my path.

Please help

Looks as though the server doesn’t like underscore characters in paths.

The Apache Configuration area of the Forum may be worth trying.

I am also WAMP Server, and i did also use a cookie cleaner program to help. Do you know if i need to do anything for my wamp server.

Sorry, I’ve no suggestion other than to present your problem to the server experts.

I don’t see how it would explain the problem you’re having, but won’t you need those links to be relative to the document root anyway, so that they’ll work from any page (in any directory) on the site?

href=“/applicants_fld/enrolment-info.html”

Note the leading slash.

thanks guys, Beaumont, in my applicants.html file i did actualy use a leading slash for both enrolement and training course llinks and also ‘./something…’ the dot operator infront of it but that did not work, any other suggestions you think i could try?

Although i will add a post in the server forum side to see if i have any luck.

Typically it is supposed to take the form of “” 2 dots, meaning one level up in the hierarchy defined by the path, e.g. <a href=“…/folder/file.htm”> double-check your path names.

OK, you just need to give us access to your hard drive and we’ll have it fixed in a jiffy :rolleyes:

If you could post a link to a live site where you’re having this problem, we might be able to help…

I did actuallys use the ‘…’ 2 dots but that sadly did not work, although i am aware that it tells the thing to move up level but did not work. Right now the web app is not live yet hence it is still on my local host, but i guess if it was live, it would be a better option, so my apologise about that. At the moment, do you have any other suggestions that you think could work?