SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gais some of you didn't read a few of my other replies in the other contraversial thread, because I had already answered several questions there.

There are times when the bible is be taken literally, and there are times to take it figuratively. Just like when you read a book. I think it is pretty obvious on how to interpret something in the bible, if you take into consideration what the writer is talking about.

Everyone has their own opinions. My theory is that even if God came down to earth and slapped everyone on the face, that a few people would still deny that he exists.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -----
    The earth is stable and does not move. 1 Sam.2:8, 1 Chr.16:30; Job 9:6, 38:4-6; Ps.96:10, 104:5, Is.13:10, Mic.6:2
    If so, then it must not spin on its axis or travel about the sun.
    -----
    I don't know if this sounds logical. I can say a ship is stable on calm waters, but that doesn't mean that the ship is not moving right? or a elephant is a very big and stable creature ... did i mention it moveS?

-----
    The sun moves around the earth. Psalms 19:4-5, Is.13:10
    -----
    Actually the verse talks about the sun risin from one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other. I don't know about you, but we still use the sun rise and set today. I mean we all know its the earth is rotating around the sun, but we are layman you know, you may be scientific, but it's not only normal to say that, its also a way of writing. I mean I love seeing the sunrise and sunsets, and not the earthrotatinleft and left or whatever ...

-----
    According to the Isaiah, the moon produces its own light and the earth does not move. Is.13:10
    -----
    The verse says "the moon will not give its light". It doesn't say the moon produces the light. but it sounds very much like what can happen during a lunar eclipse. its just like a mirror reflects light and when u stare at the mirror, it seems to give off light. Go Figure

-----
    The stone became "a great mountain" that "filled the whole earth." This could only be possible on a flat, disc-shaped earth. Dan.2:35
    ----
    I don't know about you, but when i dream, funny things happen in my dream. like you noe, maybe you can fly? or do things you could never do. Daniel was explainin a dream the king had!
    Here you've got what i mean.
    It's from the post of jeznuts,to correct some things that have been said in the bible, and that we now know are wrong, Juznuts is exposing the figurative way of it.
    Isn't that really easy to do?
    I mean everybody know, that some people have been making the bible say what they wanted it to say.

That's also explaining why there is so much difference between religion who are really close and coming from the same "old book". Just because you can make it say whatever you want.
    In a relative way the bible can even be a good book teaching you how to pick up girls on a saturday night at you local bar. Or may be an Internet marketing book who will help you earn big boks in few months.
    I mean at this point i really believe that can be absolutely anything we want to see on it!

That's just what i think, it perhaps make no sens to you; But i'm pretty sure that what i'm talking about is making a lot of sens for some of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

cyberbrain: If you had read the bible extensively, you would figure out that somethings are meant to be taken literally, and other things are meant to be taken figuratively. Just like a book. We cannot just make the bible mean whatever we want it to mean, believe it or not. I gais a person can say that from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know much about the bible and hasn't really studied it very much. I am pretty sure an author has a meaning for anything they write and they don't just write it so that it can have several real meanings.

My theory is that if God actually came down and slapped everyone in the face, that there still would be people who would say that he doesn't exist.

Chris Roane

[Edited by wsresource on 09-13-2000 at 05:49 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cyber: Yes, the Bible is open to interpretation. EVERYTHING IS! Even the things said on this forum are open to interpretation...and yes, being open to interpretation means that people can say "It doesn't mean it this way" at times...unavoidable...it does not make the Bible invalid in the least.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WRESOURCE, I have been 12 years in a private religious school in france, where i had 4 hours of religious education/week. Plus, the fact that for almost as long i have been involved in many other relious stuff. And of course my family who is really involved in religion.
    If you consider it's the point of view of somebody who don't know much about the bible, you are free to think so.
    On the contrary, I think that i'm talking of the bible in the such way because i know it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the bible is open to interpretation, as well as everything is. Ok, then the problem is:
    _the interpretation is only right when christians make it.
    _Why don't they believe in interpretation made by others?

That's can be kind of a problem if any kind of interpration can not be taken in consideration?
    that sound to me that there is some limit to the interpretation we can have of it, and those fixing those limit are the Christians. They can even tell you that you are missinterpreting... what give them this power ?
    To be children of god? aren't we all supposed to be childrens of god? Why should god give a chirstians the ability to interpret the bible the right way and not give that to everybody else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't have that "power", it is their opinion. If they say anything further than that then there is a problem. You can say people might misinterpret, say, a book...doesn't mean you have any special standing, just what you think.

It's open to interpretation...a problem of sorts, but nothing can be done about it. Yes, people can (and likely will) always see it their way...this includes EVERYONE basically.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About interpretation, I agree, that people can look @ it from their point of view. But when you interpret something, you have do do it in the context. ie. Is the whole passage being written in a literal or figurative manner? You take the 'text' out of 'context' and you can 'con'. I mean, any one can do that. If you don't interpret things in their context, its like editing someone's speech and only lettin people hear the parts they want you to hear. Like for example, lets say a person says, " I love cockroaches as much as I love dirt" The person can always say, oh the speaker says "He loves cockroaches" and conveniently leave out the comparison part.

I agree, that those are my own interpretations, I'm not a pastor, I don't go into studying the bible all day. But I tell you, the best person to ask on what the bible is tryin to say is the Holy Spirit becoz He wrote the Bible! Some may say oh its just the pastor's overactive inner self or what, but I tell you, unless you wrote the book, its impossible to make connections which mortal man would make. I've heard lots of them.

And no one took up the challenge about what your God has done for you eh? Like I said, its not only about facts and figures, or trying to debate the bible is wrong. Just becoz I haven't met you doesn't mean you don't exist right? Well since I've read things you type, I know you exist. God does things like that too. He physically healed me a few times! You think I'm faking, well, He healed people of Aids, Cancer, even unborn babies with holes in the hearts, or Having a Down Syndrome baby made normal! I know my God. He exists all right! All this are documented proof. The doctors certifies it. Every thing God does will stand the test. Can your God heal AidS? Can you God raise the dead? There are so many things my God can do, and He gives the authority to Christians to do the things He does just with the use of His Son's name - JEsus Christ! What can your God do?

cyberbrain
    -----
    That's can be kind of a problem if any kind of interpration can not be taken in consideration?
    that sound to me that there is some limit to the interpretation we can have of it, and those fixing those limit are the Christians. They can even tell you that you are missinterpreting... what give them this power ?
    To be children of god? aren't we all supposed to be childrens of god? Why should god give a chirstians the ability to interpret the bible the right way and not give that to everybody else?
    -----
    Anyone with the heart to seek God, the Bible will be opened up and you will see Jesus everywhere. I don't know how to explain this so you have to trust me on this one. If you just think the Bible is just another boring old book, yep, it will be to you. Only those who desire to know, will the truth be revealed. Maybe that's why Christians interpretations are more correct than skepticS? And besides, how can you become a child of God unless you are born again? Don't you come out as a result of natural birth? Being a child of God is a spiritual birth!

Anyway, I don't dig religion, I'm for Jesus Christ! You can know the Bible like the back of your Palm, but if you don't know Jesus, you don't know anything. That's what the Pharisees in the Bible were. People who knew the Bible very well, but still wanted to crucify the prophesized messiah (or saviour). Its not what you know that counts. It's who you know.

Annyway, I don't know whats the fuss abt figurative writing. I can imagine our future generations, thinking, "Our ancestors(us) must be pretty dumb. They told the sun rises and sun sets ..." Discern!

I don't know, just keep the discussion going. It's exciting. But like wsresource said," My theory is that if God actually came down and slapped everyone in the face, that there still would be people who would say that he doesn't exist."

All I do know is if you really really really feel God doesn't exist, you better be so so so very sure, becoz if He does, the consequences are unimaginable. I don't know about you, but if hell on earth is bad, i can't imagine what the real hell is like ... and worst still, being there for eternity, just becoz you were stubborn in insisting there is no God. Take the free ticket to Heaven man, it's paid for, just take it!

Justina

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep loving the gods you want, but I'm out of here.

I believe in things I see around me, not what stands in some badly written book which is so boring that almost nobody has read it.

I don't believe that any gods interfere with my life. Else they'd have given some sign.

BTW Why is the bible called 'finished'? Does that mean that God is 'dead' and Christianity has ceased to exist? Nobody will ever remember the things that are done by Christians.

Except for the massacres...
    -------------------------------

This will be my last post.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Keep loving the gods you want, but I'm out of here.

I believe in things I see around me, not what stands in some badly written book which is so boring that almost nobody has read it.
    Pointless remark...the Bible is not supposed to be exciting...it's a history of the beginning of the world and a guide to live by. Yes, I think it's boring, but that does not matter and, like I said, is utterly pointless.

It's also, in my opinion, a bit foolish to only believe in things you see...do you believe I exist? Seeing as how you are only one much you must not believe in much!

I don't believe that any gods interfere with my life. Else they'd have given some sign.
    The signs are usually there for those who choose to see them...I think we can at least agree that Christians see things and interpret them differently from people like yourself...

BTW Why is the bible called 'finished'? Does that mean that God is 'dead' and Christianity has ceased to exist? Nobody will ever remember the things that are done by Christians.

Except for the massacres...
    It is called finished because people will not longer be adding to it. God WAS dead, yet he came back to life and lives to this day. Your little comment there is rude and makes no sense.

Christianity will always be remembered...and you want to talk about massacres? Look to the secular world to find the worst of that.

It is your right to spend your life trying to clone sheep and create a molecular computer...I would like to say, however, that it must be quite easy living a life where you cannot commit a sin. I know it'd be easier for me...but I still do not adopt this easier, less restrictive lifestyle in the name of human nature.

Christians on the whole have a positive effect on the world when compared with secular people...you don't have to believe me, but it's true.

As for me and my house? We will serve the Lord.

[Edited by TWTCommish on 09-14-2000 at 07:10 AM]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeznuts>---------------
    About interpretation, I agree, that people can look @ it from their point of view. But when you interpret something, you have do do it in the context. ie. Is the whole passage being written in a literal or figurative manner? You take the 'text' out of 'context' and you can 'con'. I mean, any one can do that. If you don't interpret things in their context, its like editing someone's speech and only lettin people hear the parts they want you to hear. Like for example, lets say a person says, " I love cockroaches as much as I love dirt" The person can always say, oh the speaker says "He loves cockroaches" and conveniently leave out the comparison part.
    <----------------------

Ok, you are talking about something different.
    If you remember i did take the example that you did interpret your way (the figurative one)to find some excuses for the scientific error who are on the bible.
    So like i said, why can you be able to get the right interpretation, and say that other people have the wrong one and that they are taking things out of context.
    I know why you can, it's just because what you hear is not going the way you want. It's not making the apology of the bible! That's the only raison i can find to explain that.
    I didn't took anything out of context, and if things have been taken out of context, you have been able to interpret them, so why other can not do the same?

Jeznuts>----------------
    I agree, that those are my own interpretations, I'm not a pastor, I don't go into studying the bible all day. But I tell you, the best person to ask on what the bible is tryin to say is the Holy Spirit becoz He wrote the Bible! Some may say oh its just the pastor's overactive inner self or what, but I tell you, unless you wrote the book, its impossible to make connections which mortal man would make. I've heard lots of them.
    <-----------------------

How easy is that?
    In this case, who will be able to give an answer? And why human are trying to teach other human what is the right way to interpret the bible if they are not those who wrote the book??? Again what's give them this right and this privilege?
    If God did let a book on earth to explain people religion... and that human can not understand it or interprate it the right way, what the purpose of all that?

Jesnuts>---------------
    And no one took up the challenge about what your God has done for you eh? Like I said, its not only about facts and figures, or trying to debate the bible is wrong. Just becoz I haven't met you doesn't mean you don't exist right? Well since I've read things you type, I know you exist. God does things like that too. He physically healed me a few times! You think I'm faking, well, He healed people of Aids, Cancer, even unborn babies with holes in the hearts, or Having a Down Syndrome baby made normal! I know my God. He exists all right! All this are documented proof. The doctors certifies it. Every thing God does will stand the test. Can your God heal AidS? Can you God raise the dead? There are so many things my God can do, and He gives the authority to Christians to do the things He does just with the use of His Son's name - JEsus Christ! What can your God do?
    <---------------------

If find your point of view relly interesting. but after all, it's a typical Christian point of view. Thing who are beeing explained scientifically but who are not going on the way of the bible are wrong.(or you have to interpret the bible in a different way, but remember only the Holy spirit can interpret it the right way, and of course some christians)
    But things that can not be explained scientifically but going on the way of the bible are things of GOD!
    Hu...isn't that really easy too?

Yep. ok, your God i saving a lot of life, doing miracle everywhere in the world. That's make me feel so good to see so much love on this earth.

Jesnuts>---------------
    Annyway, I don't know whats the fuss abt figurative writing. I can imagine our future generations, thinking, "Our ancestors(us) must be pretty dumb. They told the sun rises and sun sets ..." Discern!
    <----------------------

If good have really been creating the univers, how can we find such scientifical error on the bible?
    Oooops, sorry, i forget, it only interpretation. Interpratation that i can not make myself!

Jeznuts>--------------
    I don't know, just keep the discussion going. It's exciting. But like wsresource said," My theory is that if God actually came down and slapped everyone in the face, that there still would be people who would say that he doesn't exist."
    <---------------------

It's not exciting at all. Imagine a discussion with somebody who told you the the color red is blue. And who five minute after that tell you that the color blue is in fact green, so that mean that blue is green and red is green.
    In this way that's kind of hard to have an exciting discussion. At least it's not exciting to me.
    About God coming to earth and slaping me in the face, i just ask to see something like that happening! I promise that i will know her exist after that. But that's not what will make me go to church every aftrenoon at 6 and every sunday morning. Because if God is such a good father, he will understand that i want to leave the house and live my life like i intend to!

Jeznuts>------------------
    All I do know is if you really really really feel God doesn't exist, you better be so so so very sure, becoz if He does, the consequences are unimaginable. I don't know about you, but if hell on earth is bad, i can't imagine what the real hell is like ... and worst still, being there for eternity, just becoz you were stubborn in insisting there is no God. Take the free ticket to Heaven man, it's paid for, just take it!
    <-------------------------
    You see, you are making the apology of the bible, but you say "All I do know is if you really really really feel God doesn't exist, you better be so so so very sure, becoz if He does, the consequences are unimaginable. "
    You said "if he does". That's kind of a big thing.
    Are you sure he do exist?
    Anyway the consquences are of course unimaginable, from a Christina point of view. But from my point of view it's not scary at all.
    ANd truely if there is hell and heaven, i would prefer to end up in hell.
    Yep, i know that sound stupid to you. But let me put it this way> if you have to follow the "rules" from the bible, you truely do not have any way to enjoy your life.
    At least it sound to me that eating great food, as much as i want even if i don't really need it, but just because i like it is great. And there is so much other things that i like to do. Like you said, if god exist, i will certainly end up in hell. But after all it will sound like a paradise to me. We are dealing with hell and heaven on our daily life. That's not so hard to deal with. Please, send me to hell, with all those pretty girls who have been nude on Playboy, give me some beer and some food, and for sure i will be having fun with my friends.
    That's sound like the vacation i haven't been taking in so long.
    By the way Justina, the ticket to heaven is not free!

I'm not sure i've got anymore time to spend talking about that. that's take me a lot of time to try to find the few word i use in english. But definitively this conversation is interesting. Not the topic, i don't really care about the topic of the discussion. But this conversation is interesting in the way that we are developing our critic, and our communication skills. We will all need that one day.
    May be that will help me when i will have to talk with St Peter?
    I will try to pass by later.
    See you Justina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't defend all that Juz has said...just this:

"How easy is that?
    In this case, who will be able to give an answer? And why human are trying to teach other human what is the right way to interpret the bible if they are not those who wrote the book??? Again what's give them this right and this privilege?"

We are fully entitled to our opinion...I have already answered this! What gives us the right to tell you you're intrepeting it wrong? The fact that we live in America...that's all. We could be wrong...it is OUR OPINION.

"If God did let a book on earth to explain people religion... and that human can not understand it or interprate it the right way, what the purpose of all that?"

We can understand it...we are CAPABLE...but we're imperfect and as such will have disagreements and misinterpretations.

This whole point about the Bible being open to interpretion is leading nowhere...it is unavoidable and present in basically all documents and does not make the Bible anymore invalid at all.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWT>------------
    We are fully entitled to our opinion...I have already answered this! What gives us the right to tell you you're intrepeting it wrong? The fact that we live in America...that's all. We could be wrong...it is OUR OPINION.
    <---------------
    Yep, i see exactly what you mean. You live in america so you have free expression. it's a good point and i totally agree with you.
    You use your right to it's full extend.

But in a certain way, this kind of things is scaring me.
    In the past, hundreds of people have been killed because they didn't beleive in God. They have been forced to beleive in God, because if they wanted to live they had no other choice.
    At this time also people where using their right to their full extend. Because it was said (interpreted) that they were doing the right thing since it was for the glory of God.
    That's really scary! That just mean that interpretation are dangerous, and that even good things can be turned into bad things. That's just mean that humans are not able to interpret the bible (like i was saying). Or that's mean that if they interpret it they sometimes do it the wrong way. Yes, easy again, sorry i killed milions of people i didn't intrepreted that the right way!
    Some peolple in the history didn't had this chance!
    Some did, since communism killed more people than nazism and in a similar way. But they never get into trouble!
    That's life, that how things are, but i do not attribute that to God. (it's just my opinion )
    I attribute that to human, we are just those stupid animal (with no memory), ready to follow a leader and belive on whatever shinny things he is promising. (but TWT, i strill respect your point, and at this time i'm not trying to convert you to my ideas, i'm just explaining why i'm thinking this way)

TWT>----------------
    This whole point about the Bible being open to interpretion is leading nowhere...it is unavoidable and present in basically all documents and does not make the Bible anymore invalid at all
    <------------------
    May be that this point of interpretation of the bible make no sens to you. But it really make sens when it come to people killer or tortured becasue they have different belief.
    Like you said you are an americain citizen. that's great, but remember that in the world there is still a lot of people who are not able to talk about their opinion, because of religion or politics.
    That's mostly what i'm against. The bible is a great book, and like i was saying, you can find whatever you need on it. I understand that could be a great way for some people to get some guidelines or answers.
    But we definitively have to remember what is good an what is not, what we would not like people do to us!

It's just that education can sometimes be dangerous.
    Little childrens of 3 years old will not care about the religion, color, politics idea of their friends. They need people to play, or to build something, they find people that they like and get along with.
    Politic and religion have more dangerous than AIDS and Cancer...that's just my point.

Like you said TWT, we are not going to agree on anything on this discussion. but it's fine with me, i knew that since the beginning. I just thought it may be fun to talk a little bit. Actually it's also that it's easier to me to talk about that than to give advice on PHP or javascript

I hope that you are developing bad feeling against me?
    I'm kind of irritating sometimes
    No, i know you are not.

By the way TWT, visit this page >
    http://www.museodelarte.com/jc.religiousart2.htm
    It's some paintings i did with my father.
    You will certainly like that.
    I have been painting since i was 5 ('cause of my father who is painter) but i did stop 6 months ago when i discovered internet and tried to set up a web site (it's not really that i'm stupid it's just that 6 months ago i have been placed in front of a computer for the first time, so of course i had a lot of stuff to learn).
    It's not a great site but with the SP forum i should learn faster.

Ok TWT, i've got to go, have a great day.
    And please belive me, i'm not evil as you think!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful paintings.

I do not dislike you at all...I have no problems with you whatsoever.

Yup, it's quite scary that people would do such terrible things in the name of a loving God...basically every religion has its bad eggs, and for the longest time Christiantiy was widespread, yet had few TRUE believers...IE: people believed in God, but "modified" the faith so they could continue sinning, committing adultery, etc.

And yes, I agree: the golden rule should apply to everyone...religious or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I do not dislike you one bit either, cyberbrain.

People killing other people in the name of God just doesn't make sense to me. I know I never would kill anyone just because they didn't believe in what I believed.

Here is basically how I think and live: "Love All People and Love God"

That is basically what it comes down to for me, and that is pretty much the meat of what I believe in.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was really busy with a lot of other things.

Chris Roane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post man. Love God, and love others" That was the reul that God told us to live by and though we can discuss all kinds of theology here life basicly comes down to that statement.

Isaac
    [www.disegno.com]www.disegno.com[/url] -Coming Soon
    isaccofedele@yahoo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an awfully long topic.

I think the Bible is a very nice story, and it has a lot of good morals etc.

And God.... hmmm why the hell not, I believe, everyone has to believe in something, and I believe in God in my own way not in a way that many religions portray him/her/neither.

One more thing...

This is hard to put into words, but when your dead... and lets say for arguments sake there is no heaven etc, there must be nothing (duh) but I find that very hard to believe, I can't even imagine not being concious.

I know how very stupid that sounds so I'll go look at some other topics now.

russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean...

Two things always blow my mind:

1 - Imaging NOT be concious anymore.
    2 - Imaging being in Heaven FOREVER...

Both freak me out.

By the way, when you said "God? What the hell...", it cracked me up...sorry to say so, but it did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I know what you mean...

Two things always blow my mind:

1 - Imaging NOT be concious anymore.
    2 - Imaging being in Heaven FOREVER...

Both freak me out.
    Yeah it freaks me out to, for many hours I have pondered the first question, but I never get anywhere.

Also originally posted by TWTCommish
    By the way, when you said "God? What the hell...", it cracked me up...sorry to say so, but it did.
    LOL I hadn't even realised what i had said until I read your post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apology needed...you shall me judged, my friend.

This all reminds me of Homer Simpson when he's sent to be a missionary to some tropical island:

"What? I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!"

Then later when he's in trouble:

"Help! Save me Jebus!"

HILLARIOUS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute, are you saying you don't believe in Jebus TWT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...

No, no...of course I believe in Jebus! Don't stone me!

Anyone catch that episode?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I did, he also used 'superman' instead of God when he was praying one time.

Me go sleep now.