SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frames and popup and flash mess

Hi people. I've run into a little problem and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I've made some sites in flash that make use of popup windows, which are Javascript called on from flash. Now, the client wants them all to be viewable within this specific site (let's call it MAINSITE) that uses two frames, the top for navigation. Within this framed environment, however, the popup script won't work under IE 6.x browsers - it will either do nothing or open up an error page in the flash/html frame (seems to vary from the different versions of 6.x).

There IS a way to make it work, but the link from the MAINSITE has to link to "../whateverthesitesfolderis/main.htm" and not "http://www.whatevertheothersitesdomainis.com/main.htm" in order for it to work. The problem is, for stats purposes, the client wants it to link to "http://www.whatevertheothersitesdomainis.com/main.htm". So my question for you is, if you actually understand this problem (I find it hard to explain), how can I make this work?

Here is the popup script I'm using.

function popupz(imagename) {
    OpenWin = this.open(imagename, "face", "toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no,scrollbars=yes,resize=no,width=530,height=300");
    }

Also, the site works fine in a framed environment, just not one that is hosted on a different domain, it seems. And the popups work fine if they're triggered by links in HTML, just not ones in flash.

Thanks.

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That is confusing. Let me see if I got you right

Lets call your flash page index.htm
    Lets call the popup popup.htm
    lets call frame 1 in the popup frame1.htm
    lets call frame 2 in the popup frame2.htm

What you want is this:
    the flash in index.htm triggers the javascript function popupz() that opens a window containing popup.htm. frame1.htm is the navigation page. At loading, frame2.htm should be changed to some other HTML page (even another site) based on a passed parameter from popupz().

Do I understand you correctly?
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not, but kinda. I should probably explain this better, I'm not even sure if I provided enough info for a clear picture.

So there's this site with its own domain that has frames, top one for navigation and bottom for content - lets call it mainsite.com. There's banners on the contentframe of mainsite.com that link to sites the mainsite.com hosts - these sites are in subdirectories, like http://www.mainsite.com/othersite/main.htm - but the links themselves href "../othersite/main.htm" (or something to that effect). So they linked relatively, and the pages open up within the content frame (no popups at this point).

Some of these hosted sites are in Flash, which is to say they are a Flash file placed in an HTML file. When they create popups, they do it by referencing javascript that's in the HTML. It works fine.

Then, the client wants to change the banners mentioned in paragraph 2 - the ones that are in www.mainsite.com's mainframe - point to "http://www.othersite.com" instead of "../othersite/main.htm" (while the sites are in subdirectories of mainsite.com, they also have domains of their own). The effect is the same, but it's for stats purposes. However, because the link is now absolute instead of relative, there's a side effect of the popupscript either not appearing, or making the content frame open up an error page, in different versions of IE 6.x.

So basically it all goes back to how the othersite.com/main.htm is referenced, relatively or absolutey - I really don't see the difference but for some reason one works and the other does not.

I hope I have explained it enough. If not, please ask me what to clarify. Thanks for reading!

Web-coding NINJA! silver trophy beetle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I lost track of this thread. You still having problems?
    beetle a.k.a. Peter Bailey
    blogs: php | prophp | security | design | zen | software
    refs: dhtml | gecko | prototype | phpdocs | unicode | charsets
    tools: ide | ftp | regex | ffdev