Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft's CEO

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    But, how's that "browser" gonna run my desktop machine?
    You should email Google, they probably didn't think of that. Not sure how hundreds of thousands of people have managed to run Chrome OS when it's just a browser eh!

For me, it's going to have to run my desktop machine.
    If it can't do that, I don't need it...
    The point is that it is entirely independent of Windows, so we don't understand what you mean by "not going to work on Windows machines". In the same way that Mac, Linux, and all the others work on their own.

Somehow I don't think you are in the demographic that would be geared for alternative operating systems.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    love chrome for the speed, but it seems to always be highly fragmented on the drive. i've been waiting for g's os, but not sure how it will trump my 200mb xp lite. what i've been waiting years for is a flash drive to replace the disk.
    everyone have a happy sagittarius thanksgiving.
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Nov 20, 2010 at 11:05. Reason: removed unnecessary link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonnope View Post
    So you don't need: a mobile phone, a smart phone, a tablet PC, a netbook, a laptop, a GPS navigator, a PDA, a PNA...
    Nope. I use an old Nokia cell phone purchased in 2004 for talking only.

I had my service provider disable texting so I don't participate in that, nor do I surf the net on my phone. It doesn't even have GPS capability or the ability to be controlled remotely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrology View Post
    everyone have a happy sagittarius thanksgiving

Never heard of that stuff.
    I was thinkin bout havin some Turkey N Dressing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of that stuff.
    I was thinkin bout havin some Turkey N Dressing!
    jeez km, only someone from the south would ever say "dressing" instead of stuffing!

y'all have a good un.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. I use an old Nokia cell phone purchased in 2004 for talking only.

I had my service provider disable texting so I don't participate in that, nor do I surf the net on my phone. It doesn't even have GPS capability or the ability to be controlled remotely
    And you live in a nuclear shelter?

You know, I'm sure a GPS navigator will prove someday to be in handy You just need to have the courage to cross the street

Joke aside, you should issue opinions only on what you know and use. Dismiss not what you haven't had a need for yet.

And I believe your Nokia has a Mobile OS in it you should know it can't run your desktop machine. But you still need it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrology View Post

Looks like someone got a new Sitepoint account as a Thanksgiving Day gift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I'm sure a GPS navigator will prove in handy someday to you You just need to have the courage to cross the street

I've been finding my way around for years just fine without GPS driving all over the US (nothing like a good road trip!) and nobdy even knew where I was at!

Joke aside, you should issue opinions only on what you know.
    Oh, I know all about the latest technology...which is why I'm opting out of alot of things.

Ever hear of privacy?

Somethings are too invasive for me to consider using.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really know about technology, latest or otherwise, unless you use it. So your opting out or opting in is based on a false "feel safe" whim. A fear doesn't account when there is a need. See below.

A GPS machine too invasive? I don't think so. A smartphone with wireless and GSM/CDMA internet access? I don't think so. See below.

By "crossing the street", I meant going to another country were your good old english language may not be of so much help. Think of "The Amazing Race". And that the "Language is the source of misunderstandings" (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry). Technology will help you there. But you first need to see it has a purpose outside your current reference system.

Again: don't dismiss what you don't... miss

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know where to ship the tinfoil hat . . .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you're still carrying that phone with you, giving details on your position and conversations. You connect to the internet (although in your defensive way) and transfer data over many networks you know nothing about.

You know why it's all okay?
    Your government does not give a damn where you are. They do not care about you in the slightest. Are you such a VIP that someone trying to find you (you didn't bury the bodies deep enough?) would, instead of asking around or investigating, hire someone to (somehow?!) hack the network of satellites solely to gain information on your position?

Me neither.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really know about technology, latest or otherwise, unless you use it.

Thanks to the massive amounts of information available on the subject, that wouldn't be true.

I'm considering the down side of any piece of technology versus what it can do for me and is it worth the side effects.

By "crossing the street", I meant going to another country were your good old english language may not be of so much help. Think of "The Amazing Race". And that the "Language is the source of misunderstandings" (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry).

Now, why would I ever want to go to another country?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to the massive amounts of information available on the subject, that wouldn't be true.
    Really? And you have never tried sex because you already have read and seen so much about it?

Seriously, living and judging not by your self but by other people's opinions, that's a tool's life! Hearsay are not facts. How can you say for sure, how can you trust THEIR opinion is impartial and accurate, when it comes to what YOU may or may not need. Do they know you better then you know you? Do they do all your thinking for you?

Now, why would I ever want to go to another country?
    True. I forgot. Nowadays, need, wish, work, holiday, the countries are the ones coming to your door step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    Let me know where to ship the tinfoil hat . . .

Nah, I wear a tin foil CUP....gotta keep the gamma rays off my junk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.P View Post
    But you're still carrying that phone with you, giving details on your position and conversations. You connect to the internet (although in your defensive way) and transfer data over many networks you know nothing about.

You know why it's all okay?
    Your government does not give a damn where you are. They do not care about you in the slightest. Are you such a VIP that someone trying to find you (you didn't bury the bodies deep enough?) would, instead of asking around or investigating, hire someone to (somehow?!) hack the network of satellites solely to gain information on your position?

Me neither.

Thanks for making my point...in the normal course of life the government is going to have some measure of remote access to your life, so why should I pile on and willingly give them numerous move avenues?

As far as internet connections...using a private VPN network is the way to go as long as the network is a good one and is constantly monitored for intrusion run by guys that don't think it's any of the government's business without at least a court order and hopefully it ain't a dirty judge trading subpoenas for fudge

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they do not care about you or I, and have no reason to.

You do realise that your phone will tell your provider where you are in the world, but a GPS device does not broadcast anything at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you have never tried sex because you already have read and seen so much about it?
    Well, I never heard of a GPS phone, or whatever, getting someone off or providing meaningful companionship.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you willing to try though, if I'll tell you it can do just that for you?

I'll let you in on a little secret. I've grown pretty fond of my Ioana. She's a chick inside my GPS just like my wife: always telling me where to go or what to do. But she never ever raises her voice at me. How's that for "meaningful companionship"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they do not care about you or I, and have no reason to.
    That's fast becoming not true because they fear you and I might be terrorists and they need to look into our lives through technology to see if we are or not.

You know...guilty until proven innocent

GPS on smart phone can allow your location to be pin pointed when you aren't using the phone and even when the phone is off. They're coming out with phones that have an active GPS system even if you remove the battery from the phone as the system has it's own internal battery.

Heck, your phone's microphone can be activated without you knowing it as can your webcam if your phone is so equipped. Amazing stuff!

Now, I wouldn't mind having maps on a smart phone (connecting to the net via private VPN) but it would have to be an altered phone with GPS removed and something done to give me control over the microphone. A piece of electrical tape over the webcam lense will take care of that part

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let you in on a little secret. I've grown pretty fond of my Ioana. She's a chick inside my GPS just like my wife: always telling me where to go or what to do. But she never ever raises her voice at me. How's that for "meaningful companionship"

Now that is another reason I don't want one of those GPS thingys

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... He (KM Richards) thinks and sounds like one. A terrorist I mean!?

A joke, of course

You, my friend, need to grow up. I lived in a dictatorship and I know what I'm talking about. In those years you never knew if the person taking to you is in fact fishing for a reason to send you to prison. Or worse. To make you betray your family.

Those were hard times. The paranoia was also that you can't trust anyone, and that they intercept each and every one. And that was the simplest and stupidest way to make a sheep out of you. Self censorship, like the one you exhibit, that's the one that help them keep in line millions of people with only hundreds of acolytes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... He thinks and sounds like one. A terrorist I mean!?

I didn't say that I thought he was a terrorist...but the governments of the world are starting to have a mindset of "if you aren't a terrorist, then you won't mind if we look around because we want to make sure you're not a terrorist"

Once the masses lower their objection to this (cause we all want to try and stop the real terrorists trying to blow us up), then government will start taking more and more civil liberties in the name of "security"

Creeping evasiveness... knocking on the door of your privacy soon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fast becoming not true because they fear you and I might be terrorists and they need to look into our lives through technology to see if we are or not.

You know...guilty until proven innocent

GPS on smart phone can allow your location to be pin pointed when you aren't using the phone and even when the phone is off. They're coming out with phones that have an active GPS system even if you remove the battery from the phone as the system has it's own internal battery.

Heck, your phone's microphone can be activated without you knowing it as can your webcam if your phone is so equipped. Amazing stuff!

Now, I wouldn't mind having maps on a smart phone (connecting to the net via private VPN) but it would have to be an altered phone with GPS removed and something done to give me control over the microphone. A piece of electrical tape over the webcam lense will take care of that part
    Someone watches too much TV...
    *sigh* un-subscribing from this thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone watches too much TV...
    *sigh* un-subscribing from this thread!

I take it you don't believe today's technology is all that technologically advanced?

I always get tickled at the geeks who shout from the roof tops about how advanced technology is these days, but don't believe it can be used for invasion of privacy purposes...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What privacy?

That's what everybody's trying to tell you. You believe that by cutting down and opting out you'll protect your privacy.

Well, you don't have one to start with. You have a social security number, an ID, a bank account, a home address. You pay taxes. You have to declare your kids upon their birth, you have to declare dead relatives before burial. All this things are so you will have no privacy. You are like live stock: tagged, numbered and accounted for.

We, as humans, are social animals. That means as little privacy as possible. So you might as well live your life knowing that. But live it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, why should I add to that?
    The smaller the foot print, better off you are.

It's kinda like locking your doors at night...it won't absolutely guarantee nobody will break in but is does serve as a good deterrent.

Course on the home break-in thing there are other more effective deterrents other than locking doors