SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managing a Unix Server

I was thinking about buying a dedicated server from rackshack.net but I dont really know whats envolved in administering the server. How difficult is it? Does it require constant attention or is it basically fine after the initial setup? Anyone know of any good tutorials or articles on managing a rackshack server?

I am looking into this because I am opening a web hosting company.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, Rackshack servers are unmanaged, so things like upgrades, security and the general running of the server is up to you. You will also need to know how to manage the server via telnet/ SSH. If you are just starting out in hosting and you do not know how to manage a sever, I would recommend you start off with a reseller type account. Not only will this be cheaper, but the server will be managed on your behalf by your host. If you have any technical support issues, you simply tell them to look into it. It is also a good way yo build up your clients and get yourself established.

Does it require constant attention or is it basically fine after the initial setup
    It will need attention yes. You will also need to know how to make regular backups of the server, in case things go belly up!! You simply cant buy a server and sell the space/ bandwidth you have accuired without knowing how to manage it.

Good Luck
    Design R Web Solutions
    Design R Web Solutions
    part of Othello Technology Systems Ltd AS29527
    Email Us Support Forums
    enom ETP - PM me for a free reseller account

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently we are a reseller of a host who is on rackshack. But unfortunately he isnt doing that great of a job and we have something awful like a 60% downtime. I realize rackshack is unmanaged, but are there any articles, tutorials or anything that can help me learn how to manage the server? I mean, people have to learn from somewhere right?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and we have something awful like a 60% downtime
    Blimey!! More downtime then up is not a good sign. Sounds like your current hosts also need to know how to run a server. And thats my point....you simply cant buy a server and set up a hosting business without knowing how to manage it. (Sounds like your hosts have done this...and the result? 60% downtime) However, I dont know of any sites which would help you to "learn" to manage a server. Im sure there are lots out there. You could try the support forums at Rackshack, and simply ask there. Im sure many members there where once in your situation.

Maybe just look at moving your clients to another hosting company that offer a resellers account, but with a better up time. The last thing you want to do is set yourself up with a dedicated server and then be unable to manage it and fail to answer any technical quires.

Regards
    Design R Web Solutions
    part of Othello Technology Systems Ltd AS29527
    Email Us Support Forums
    enom ETP - PM me for a free reseller account

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True...
    I will look into a few more options.
    I didnt realize rackshack had a forum, this should help me alot.

BTW... I was exagerating a bit about the 60% down time, but it is still rediculously (sp?) high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would probably be a smart idea to team up with someone who had had experiance with administrating servers before, otherwise you're gonna have lots of unhappy clients