SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should text be displayed as graphics to make it look nicer?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

0 0%
  • Sometimes

7 43.75%
  • Rarely

4 25.00%
  • NO!!!!

5 31.25%
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using graphics to display anti-aliased text

Hi,

Im fairly new to web design, been doing it on and off for a couple of years. I have my biggest client ever at the moment, and the whole business which has 6 figure funding will hinge on the web site Im designing! (gulp!)

My question to all you seasoned designers out there is...

Is it a good idea to use graphics so the text on a site looks nice and smooth and clear? Or is there another way to produce nice smooth text on screen? I'm concerned about search engines and spiders not picking up the valuable content of the site if its all presented in graphics rather than plain old text. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I just have to put up with blocky fonts and stop being so anal about my sites appearance!!??

Cheers everyone who responds !!

Last edited by shirudell; Aug 6, 2002 at 12:39.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you definitely can't put your whole site into images. Search Engines won't like that too much... and peoples' heads will explode when they try to get the site via 56k modems.

When your visitors spontaneously explode... you have a problem.

Anti-aliased graphics are great for titles/logos and larger page headers, but keep your text as text. Fast-loading.

I don't find it too blocky. Try playing with CSS and get yourself a font that you're happy with.

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted rarely. In my opinion, graphical text should only be used for logos, graphical navigation, and perhaps a "center-piece" image. Besides, I think that non-antialised text usually looks better. Have you ever seen verdana at 10pt anti-aliased - it's fuzzy and less readable.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do it! Graphics should only be used for text when there is no possible way of representing that text using "real" text - a company logo for example. A lot of modern PCs do a great job of anti aliasing text on screen - Windows XP / Mac OS X are both excellent in this regard.

Using images instead of text...
    • Makes your site far less accessible to screen readers and other non-visual browsers
    • Increases your download times
    • Prevents search engines from spidering your site
    • Stops users from being able to increase / decrease the font size on your site
    • Makes it much harder to print your site properly (web images that look good on screen tend not to print very well due to the low resolution)
    • Prevents your user from being able to select text, for example to copy and paste it in to a Word document for better printing, or to right click it and run a search on it.
    • Makes your site look very, very unprofessional - I have seen professional web developers laugh out loud at sites that use images for all of their text.
    The trade off for nice anti aliasing just isn't worth it. I'm sure I can come up with more reasons if you want some

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only used it for logos so far. thus, i voted "rarely". As said, its unwise to unnecessarily overload your webpage with graphics

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much everyone for all the responses. The general concensus is I'm making a mistake! I think Ill just nip into Dreamweaver and make a few nice tables instead to hold real text in - shouldnt take me too long, and glad to have had the feedback now!!

Thanks once again,

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anytime!