SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since the data set doesn't even exist before it's entered, is there any semantic relationship that REQUIRES a table? Don't get me wron it's nice for the UI ( layout) if it resembles a table...(or if a table is used so that it resembles a table) but I would figure that semantically a form is NOT actually a table...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, a form is not a table.

but I would say at least 99% of the times I use a <form>, I want the content inside that form to display as a "table" and so I use <table> in those cases as it will be quicker and easier for me to align all the rows and columns up nicely.

also, maybe I'm splitting hairs here a bit but

Since the data set doesn't even exist before it's entered,.....
    is not necessarily true in all cases. in many cases the input text boxes, checkboxes, radio buttons etc could have default values from a database assigned to them on page load and so there will be preset data in those form inputs.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    but I would say at least 99% of the times I use a <form>, I want the content inside that form to display as a "table" and so I use <table> in those cases as it will be quicker and easier for me to align all the rows and columns up nicely.
    Is IE6/7 the reason you don't use CSS display: table?

(honest question, I use display:table a lot less than I normally would if it weren't for those two)

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalon View Post
    Sorry Kalon - usually I think you write a lot of good sense, but I really can't accept that a <table> is a valid semantic choice for a form that consists purely of name-value pairs, and using "it is easier to do that layout" as a pretext is a red herring. With display:inline-block, it is very easy to create most form layouts with labels and inputs lined up as you want them.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    display: inline-block has its own can of worms— especially if you're still supporting browsers like K-Meleon, IE6 and IE7 (and supporting IE is easier than supporting browsers still using the FF2 engine).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Sorry Kalon - usually I think you write a lot of good sense, but I really can't accept that a <table> is a valid semantic choice for a form that consists purely of name-value pairs, and using "it is easier to do that layout" as a pretext is a red herring. With display:inline-block, it is very easy to create most form layouts with labels and inputs lined up as you want them.
    that's ok.

as I said back in post 12.

it boils down to whether someone can argue that a data set is legitimate tabular data or not.

what is tabular data can be a grey area and open to interpretation.