SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don\'t Disable Right Click!

These comments are in regards to the SitePoint.com article \'Don\'t Disable Right Click!\'.

After checking this article I found that the right-click is at least 'incomplete'.
    right-click near an image and leave the button pressed. move the mouse on top
    of that image and release the button. javascript message comes up. click ok. After
    this the standard popup for the right-click menu comes up . you could save the
    image, as if there is no javascript.

NoSpace

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Makes it even more pointless! (And thankfully less annoying.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there's definitely ways around it.

It's funny, because most sites that use it have worthless content and images anyway.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javascript disable of right click just isn't effective

Disabling right click on a site is such an ineffective way to protect your images. Not only is it annoying to the visitor, but it's so easy to get around. I personally like to use right click to open the link in a new window. It is so frustrating when I cannot do that because "Images on this site are protected by copyright." I only want to check out your link in a new window. I'm not interested in copying your images.

If you really want to protect your images from theft, you need to use a program such as ImageGuard. It's very easy to use and is fairly inexpensive. ImageGuard makes it impossible to find out where the image is actually located.

Just don't use JavaScript to disable right click. It only makes the visitor want to go to the tool bar and view source, find out where your image is located and take it just to spite you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ImageGuard makes it impossible to find out where the image is actually located.
    Impossible? Don't believe you!!

Difficult maybe ...

G

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by greg.harvey

Impossible? Don't believe you!!

Difficult maybe ...

G
    Woooh!

Bring it on

Show me a page where the images are "impossible" to steal. If I can't post the image within a few minutes, I'll, er.... wear one of my sweaty socks on my head...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhhh ... careful there buddy! Couldn't you set yourself a less hazardous challenge ... like Nile crocodile wrestling!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by NE Design
    It's funny, because most sites that use it have worthless content and images anyway.
    Ain't that the truth? ;-D

Image Guard looks interesting, but I have to d/l the latest version of java, which apparently I do not have, to use it. That could be a problem to your users. Also, it "offers protection from all forms of copying except capture," so if I really wanted the image, I wouldn't have to strain myself to get it.

Personally, I think the best protection against image theft is not putting it on the Web. Outside of that, the most you can do is to discourage users from stealing via a warning or watermark--you could use a digital watermark to prove an image was yours, but it won't stop people from "Save As." That's about it. :-)

~~Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right Click.. is there any necessity to use it ? . i mean its so easy anyways get some content or images without right click.. i've used it only once and it isn't of anyuse.. so, i dont guess there's any need of having a script of right click on any site ! and about Image Gaurd .. is it really fooproof.. will need to know myself..
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it isn't foolproof. NOTHING on the Internet is. As to how resilient it is, that's another thing entirely. I wouldn't trust it though. As Ian said, Digital watermark your work. That way if a dispute does arise there's no arguing that it's your graphic.

G

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ruchir
    Right Click.. is there any necessity to use it ? . i mean its so easy anyways get some content or images without right click.. i've used it only once and it isn't of anyuse.. so, i dont guess there's any need of having a script of right click on any site ! and about Image Gaurd .. is it really fooproof.. will need to know myself..

It's SOOOOO necessary (damn, what was than learning aid Saz showed me?). Browse with Opera, or Mozilla with mouse gestures on and you'll wonder why you've been missing out so long

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as imageguard goes, the following makes it near useless against someone wanting your images.

Offers protection from all forms of copying except capture.
    Granted most people don't know you can simply hit your "Print screen" key under windows and then paste the image.

But.... There are multiple nice screen capture utilities that will do it automatically anyways.

If the image gets into your computer, you can capture it.

And that includes flash also.

-----Hm, just tried their protected image page and was able to download the images freely by only using the technique above. And this was *after* I downloaded the updated java, etc... So they charge you all this money for a system that can be easily cirumvented by a well known technique that is only a google search away...
    Last edited by wert; Aug 28, 2002 at 03:39.