SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customers with Unrealistic Expectations

While most of my customers are absolutely fantastic, I have one that I am dealing with right now where we spent 17 hours of work on a job they paid 7 hours for already. I will say that I initially gave them an estimate of about 5 hours to code a psd to html, but then they gave me 4 PSDs. And we still aren't done and they are demanding results. I'm holding firm and demanding more money to continue. Any ideas?

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You screwed yourself when you accepted 4 PSDs when your agreement only called for 1 without agreeing on a new price at that point.

I don't blame you for holding out but I don't know what kind of advice you expect to get from here.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you specifically say you'd do the 4 PSD conversions for no extra cost? Does your contract state that any work beyond the originally agreed spec will be charged extra?

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only there were a communications medium you could educate clients and filter out chiselers with.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in this case, I have pretty much brought work to an end and the customer isn't spending either, though promising to spend more "if" I will finish the project. Already being in a deficit, it seems there is no way I can trust that.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    While most of my customers are absolutely fantastic, I have one that I am dealing with right now where we spent 17 hours of work on a job they paid 7 hours for already. I will say that I initially gave them an estimate of about 5 hours to code a psd to html, but then they gave me 4 PSDs. And we still aren't done and they are demanding results. I'm holding firm and demanding more money to continue. Any ideas?
    Sounds fine to me.

If you want to do a favor for your client in hopes of future business, go for it. If not, hold firm.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Held firm, and pretty much it remains an unfinished job, but happy to continue when funds allow. We already gave a small gift (extra work), and I think that is all we can do without compensation.