SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help, Buying subs

Hey, I am about to buy 100,000 co-registrations subs and I was wondering how much you think I should be able to make off of this? The only ads I would put in would be ads from my page, and content ads. How much would someone pay for content ads? Also, if I put two or 3 ads from my webpage, how many hits could I expect? And I use fastclick with a popunder and hosting one banner on a page. Do you think I could make a lot of money back fast like this or do you think it would be a bad idea? I would like any feedback that would be possible. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, before making a large investment in your site, you should start with a lower amount of subs, work out how much revenue you are making and do some mathematics to estimate how much you will make if you invested some more money in extra subs.

For instance, I make x dollars per month from y subs. If I buy z more subs, then the amount of money I make might be about x * ((y + z) / y)

Then, work out how much more it is going to cost to host your site if you increase your traffic by this amount. Do this based on the list hosting cost and your web hosting cost.

Also, always consider a worst case scenario. Look at the trends on the revenues you're receiving and if it's going down, factor this into your estimation.

Work out how much you may lose in the worst case - look at your worst month and estimate based on that just to get a good idea.

Your exact amount really does depend on how targetted your subs are, and I have no idea who you're buying them from. It also depends on the content your site already has and the quality and frequency of your newsletter. There are so many other factors involved that everybody else's experiences are going to be different. If you start small, then you should be able to make some estimations.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, here is the thing, I am able to buy a large number of subs right now, and when you buy larger number, you get a better deal, so why not get as many as possible? Also, I have all of the hosting things figured out, it's all good. And my website is a humor website and I'm getting co-regs from taf forms on other humor websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help, Buying subs

Originally posted by Soc
    Hey, I am about to buy 100,000 co-registrations subs and I was wondering how much you think I should be able to make off of this? The only ads I would put in would be ads from my page, and content ads. How much would someone pay for content ads? Also, if I put two or 3 ads from my webpage, how many hits could I expect? And I use fastclick with a popunder and hosting one banner on a page. Do you think I could make a lot of money back fast like this or do you think it would be a bad idea? I would like any feedback that would be possible. Thanks.
    Do you've the mailing capacity to email 100,000 subscribers?

Other points to note:
    1. Do you co-reg provider give a detailed spreadsheet with each subscribers timestamp, IP address? It's better to have this to prevent spam complaints.
    2. Were there incentives offered to sign up? Undue incentives by co-reg providers can result in lower quality overall.
    3. Were they double optin or single? Double costs more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have the mailing capacity. Yes I have detailed stuff. It's single, I know it's not as good, but still works. And I know the guy well so I know he won't screw me over with them. There aren't incentives to sign up, you send a friend a joke, and if they check my box, then I get them, he can send me about 30,000 of them a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good ... the next thing is to ensure that you're buying those subs (less nixies) at a reasonable rate, preferably recovering the cost within 4-6 months or longer if you can afford the cashflow. My 2 cents.