SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disable the copy option from my web graphics

I am designing a website for a photographer who would like to show some of her photos on the internet. She is concerned with the possibility of viewers copying her photos off of the web. I have visited several websites and have found the copy option has been disabled. No one can use the right click option of their mouse and have the option to copy and and save the graphic.
    I am using Dreamweaver Ultra Dev.

Can someone explain to me how to get this accomplished?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure it is possible to disable the right click but absolutely pointless because there are always ways around it. If you want to know how, then do a search here at SPF, or at somwehere like javascriptsource.com.

Instead you are much better off plastering the site in copyright notices and making sure that all images are properly watermarked.

Sadly though, image theft is a large problem and really there is not a lot that can be done.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there is really no way to protect them. Right-click scripts are just lame, unprofessional, presents a hostile message to the user, and are bad for usability, and doesn't really protect the images. Just make sure your copyright notices are up to date, and don't present the photos in high resolution, and your should be fine. Watermarking could also be a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, really. The people who steal images are probably not the legit cash-cows that would buy your images anyway.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a photographer who puts their pictures on the web.

If anyone is worried about use of their pictures other than on their site don't put the pictures on the web or use some form of tracking watermark.

As has been said earlier use large low file size pictures and make sure the copyright and original website address is on the picture somewhere.

The low file size makes them look reasonable on the web fast to download and big on screen. Makes them rubbish at printing above any small image size and the mark on the picture lets people know where they came from.
    http://www.timco-media.co.uk/collect...es/bollard.htm

SitePoint Evangelist Brandon Luhring's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The others have alluded to it, but haven't given you specific examples. You can tell your client (who, I'm sure is obssessed with the idea of disabling the right click) that viewers can simply hit the "Print Screen" button on their keyboards, or drag the image onto their desktops. Both ways effectively copy the image without using the right mouse button.

They keep saying to paste the photographer's name on the image too... where, I guess that can work to some extent, anyone who knows anything about an image editor can easily remove that too, and IMO it distracts from the artwork itself. --that being a very bad thing.

plaster copyrights on every page, and possibly use an icon from Graphic Arts Guild's Ask First Campaign to really show your feelings about taking images.

Best option is to make file quality as low as possible while still keeping a professional image on screen. Mainly, you want to prevent people from getting good output when printing them.

Bottom line, if you don't want it taken, keep it offline.

You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch blac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides what's already been posted on here, disabling right click is mostly just annoying, and only works if the user has javascript enabled anyway, which they can easily turn off just to download images from your page. This is not even to mention image capture software, simple "Alt+PrintScreen" copies the window to a bitmap image - there are many ways to copy what's on the screen.

Why not have a watermark that dimly says "SAMPLE" diagonally across the image, or post only low-res images that no one would want to steal?

The truth is, there are many legitimate reasons for using right-click menus while surfing, most visitors are NOT going to steal images, those that do are probably just going to use them on their homepages anyway, and ultimately, what's wrong with someone downloading some of your art? Just don't put that 5 megapixel version on the web so that people can make prints from it and sell it.

-- Jough
    My Dynamic Site in Action:
    Poetry X Poetry Archive