SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Career Shift, How?

I'm currently employed (in the field of systems development ) but I'm considering applying for another job. If I'm expose .net developer now I would like apply for let's say a Database Administrator. What should I or where I should focus when I get interview? Wait, were there companies accepting applicant like that?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess you can always try to apply for the job and see what happens. I met a guy who has a degree in psychology but work as a database admin. So, you never know until you just give it a go.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats right i agree but first u have to know about ur self that what u want to do in future,because this thought would be very useful to reach ur aim.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how to i tell to the interviewer my reasons for leaving? I dont want to sound i was leaving because I dont enjoy my work. it might be the case, they thought thats why im leaving my developer job is because I dont enjoy my work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    search the other job but dont leave that job. when you get better job so u will have the reason to leave

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it ok if I tender my resignation so I can focus on finding a better job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will suggest you to not leave your current job until you get a new one but related to your field. Get sticky with this job and try to spend good time here. As the rolling stone is easy to move no matter how heavy it is but the stone which is at rest took much time to move.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k thanks...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, its good you should apply but you should know that you can it easily. First,should think about future.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should stay in your current job until you get another one. If you are interested in becoming a database administrator then why not do a self study course from home - either online or on CD-ROM. This will help you to find out if that is the right way forward with your new career.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lipips View Post
    I'm currently employed (in the field of systems development ) but I'm considering applying for another job. If I'm expose .net developer now I would like apply for let's say a Database Administrator. What should I or where I should focus when I get interview? Wait, were there companies accepting applicant like that?
    I realize this thread is a month old, but I thought there was something valuable that no one else brought up. Is there, or will there be a position for database administrator, or whatever the position is, available at your current employer? It would be tremendously easier to shift duties with an employer who already trusts and knows you than, to find a new job where you have to prove yourself in a new field.
    Terry Myers - VPS.net Chief Evangelist
    VPS.net - Auto scaling cloud hosting with 21 datacenters
    Comcure - Imagine time machine for your website... it's here
    Contact Me: terry.myers@uk2group.com | @vpsnet | @igobyterry