SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ethical to use canned scripts?

I admit that I've used free scripts on some projects. I'm wondering if there are any ethical problems with using scripts from someone else (with permission, of course).
    http://www.soapbox101.com

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhh ... like what?!

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you're talking about -- scripts from like Hotscripts.com? Regardless, if you have permission, what's the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think its a sin
    kyle//at//retorikmedia//dot//com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they were unethical, I dont think those sites would be so well known on the positive side of the web design community.

It's ok to use 'em

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you're respecting the terms of use set by the authors the only possible ethical dilemma would be if you were doing the project for someone else and presenting the script as something you'd written from scratch yourself. Other than that..that's what they're there for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea for this question was a discussion I had with another designer. He codes everything he uses (mail form, dropdown menu, etc.) and he think that you can't say you built a site yourself unless you coded it on your own. I on the other hand argued that you don't have to reinvent the wheel; if someone has made a great script that does what you want and is giving it away, why spend the days or hours building one from scratch, and wasting the client's time?
    http://www.soapbox101.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one of the freely available scripts does exactly what you need, and as long as you abide by the terms of use set by the script author, not only is it perfectly ethical, but I think one could make the argument that it would be unethical to charge the client for the hours or days it might take you to write your own. Unless the client has told you he wants to spend money unnecessarily.
    Last edited by sonjay; Aug 5, 2002 at 03:01.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by goma
    The idea for this question was a discussion I had with another designer. He codes everything he uses (mail form, dropdown menu, etc.) and he think that you can't say you built a site yourself unless you coded it on your own. I on the other hand argued that you don't have to reinvent the wheel; if someone has made a great script that does what you want and is giving it away, why spend the days or hours building one from scratch, and wasting the client's time?
    Well, if you code all your site elements yourself, you still use PHP, which is an abstraction layer for C (kind of), which in turn is an abstraction of assembly language. No matter how you put it, you use code others made for you.

The problem I find with canned scripts is that they are often pieces of crap when it comes to integration.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by goma
    The idea for this question was a discussion I had with another designer. He codes everything he uses (mail form, dropdown menu, etc.) and he think that you can't say you built a site yourself unless you coded it on your own.
    By that same logic when you're writing in Java you should ignore teh Java standard class library and write classes for handling things like strings yourself. As you said, there's no point reinventing the wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To take it a step further, your friend should write his own text editor because if he uses someone elses, then he's not really writing the website himself.

Maybe he should also build the chair he's sitting in from scratch as well?

Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention that he should build his computer, and probably the components of it. He must also grow his own coffee beans.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. Johansson
    Not to mention that he should build his computer, and probably the components of it. He must also grow his own coffee beans.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.....and make his own cups? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not? I use free scripts all the time. I tell the client, I am using a free script. It saves me time. And if another developer has already figured a way to make everything cross browser and cross platform compatible, why should I have to do that? This is usually the case for javascript (pain in the neck) and DHTML stuff. But I now tend to write my own PHP scripts and applications, because that's just more fun.

Just make sure you don't take a free script, edit it, and then say you wrote it. Two years ago when I started a job I found out that's exactly what the previous developer had done! That just shows you what they teach at MIT, hehe, j/k.
    The Internet is prettier on a Mac.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have permission, there is NOTHING wrong with using free scripts.

Telling your client that you've spent hours on a script when it's really pre-made IS wrong. That's when it becomes an ethical issue.

They're very helpful, and I give lots of credit to the people who make them available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question!

I have always wondered this myself. Each time i look scripts up i have a bit of guilt feeling like im cheating or something. The person who said there is no need to reinvent the wheel made it very clear why we would use canned scripts in the first place. Why spend all the time and energy and the clients money to recreate a script when it just makes things easier. You can use the script and move on to more important creations for the website that calls for your undivided attention.

Thanks everyone for your input because it made me feel much better to know that those who are renowned in the field do it too!

Shara
    Webbie Newbie