SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow What am I doing wrong?

Hi all,
    I'm on the verge of going insane here. PLEASE help!

My website is currently averaging 1000+ unique visitors a day and is primarily a forum site. We have 1700 posts in a small amount of forums, so it doesn't look THAT empty

My problem is that in the last week, I have had 3 signups and I rarely get more than 5 in a week anyway. Yesterday, I had more than 2200 unique visitors and ONE person signed up.

I've checked the site entry pages and put "quick registration" forms on the most popular ones. Visitors can sign up by filling in just four boxes (username, password, password confirm, email) and a form like this is also on the frontpage, yet still nobody signs up.

The forum hosts mature videogaming conversation, and are all moderated well (but not *too* much).

We post new content at least once a day (reviews, articles etc) and are listed in the major engines (including Yahoo, DMOZ etc.)

Any ideas as to why folks just refuse to sign up?

Thank you all in advance,

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an expert on the subject, but I'm an administrator for a small community - uh... 418 members / 11962 posts - (I had to check).

Our signups pace with your reports.
    The hard part is that people sign up but don't post!

In the last couple days we've had three new members actually post messages and I believe it is because they were referred by other members and knew before hand that we don't tolerate flames or other nonesense - very pleasant place to be - much like SP in that respect.

We have noticed spurts in sign-ups when we have been mentioned in newsletters. We've had problems with usenet trolls - hence the community - but occassionally we recruit someone from usenet via email - and only when they have requested information.

We just got listed in Google a month or so ago, but we are so far down in the results I doubt if we pick up many people from searches yet.

To date, newsletter mentions have done the best for us. Do any of your members have newsletters? Maybe a poll on your site to find out?

Edit:

I visited your site. Looks very nice! And you had 19 members loged in. I didn't read the messages - I'm not a gamer and probably wouldn't understand them - but, as the site is primarily a forum, the quality of the posts will have an influence on sign-ups.

Who are the stars of the gaming world? Do you know any of them? Could you get them to post? Uh... games... you guys like hacks don't you? Who writes the hacks? Can you get them to post? Could you post interviews that you have conducted with significant members of the gaming community? Press releases - what about posting press releases that relate to gaming? Which companys dominate the field? Perhaps there are news feeds you could offer giving the latest news from these companys.

Just brainstorming here...
    Last edited by Herbster; Aug 3, 2002 at 13:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions Herbster,
    I'll look into your suggestions and see if any can be put into action.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you could do is restrict the things guests can do. I don't recommend disallowing them to read the threads, but you can prevent them from searching, downloading, etc. -- at least in vBulletin.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    One thing you could do is restrict the things guests can do. I don't recommend disallowing them to read the threads, but you can prevent them from searching, downloading, etc. -- at least in vBulletin.
    Does that really work?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might get a few to register but they will only register to download or search.

You want people to join because they want to post not to get around restrictions from being a guest.
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KMxRetro

If you need more signups, place a graphics (It needs to have blazing colors to get visitor's attention) that describes they need to get a user name to be able to post messages on your forum and link it to signup page.

If you need more posts place an script on your first page that shows at least subject lines of last 10 threads.

Also create an attractive graphics button (large enough to attract users) that invites users to attract with each other.

Above methods have increased my signup rate by about 7-10 and message posts (new users) by about 5-10.

(mentioned sites are not in mys signature line. They are very high traffic sites related to my own country )

Reagrds
    Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herbster, maybe you or someone else can give me some advice as well.

i have a new forum site, around 6 months old. below is the link:

www.aztechorizon.com

people are just not signing up and when they do they are not posting. i really feel i have a unique site - one of only a handfull. there only a few sites that deal with mexican-american topics. i have seen those sites and they are ugly and slow.

i have tried contests and i'm considering having only registered users be able to view any posts. u think this might work?

i have done a lot of search engine marketing. do a search for "hispanic chat" or "latino forums" etc, and i am pretty much always on top.

thanks in advance.

robert
    for web design visit:
    www.rcgodina-design.com

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi robcg

Again, I'm not an expert. I had a look at your site. It's very handsome. Good forum topics.

Personally, I wouldn't have it set up so that people have to register before they can read the posts. Unless I get a very strong recommendation from someone I know, I won't sign up for a forum until I've read the messages. Some people like to read, but they aren't comfortable posting. They will still recommend your site to others if they find it of value. I say the more lurkers the better.

That said, it is not the practice we follow. A troll caused too much trouble. In fact not too long ago our site was hacked. We think we know who did it...

Anyway... lately I'm big on news feeds. We have a lot of Hispanics in my area and I'm trying to think what would interest them. Most have green cards but are not citizens. They are very concerned about what is happening in Mexico. Maybe find a spot to add Latin American news feeds? The people I know are always on the phone talking to relatives in Mexico. A local service station even hands out free phone cards as a premium. You might want to add information about inexpensive long distance calling.

One thing we did at work was put up a map of North America and we used push pins with little flags to mark where people were from. It was a big hit. Bravenet has a free software utility that does the same thing. Instead of a guestbook, it is a guest map. We've tried it and people in our group love it.

This is just off the top of my head...
    Oh! I haven't checked, but there must be Latino usenet groups. You might try posting on them and if they allow sigs you could post a link to your site.

hth

P.S. Check this out. I don't speak or read Spanish, so I don't know if this is radical stuff or valuable information. Independent news re: Mexico. http://mexico.indymedia.org/ They have a RSS feed, but I haven't found details about the legality of using it...
    Last edited by Herbster; Aug 15, 2002 at 09:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll spare a little anecdote... I often want to post a note after reading various posts on various forums... but I usually don't because I don't want to waste time with the sign up process and I'm afraid of spam.

Advice derived from the above:

Make your signup process short (And let readers know that it's short.... you can get more info from them later!)
    Make it clear that there won't be any spam.

I'm not a forummaster, but that's my personal experience .
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people are just not signing up and when they do they are not posting.
    This is natural. You will also get more posters if you do not require registration.

i'm considering having only registered users be able to view any posts. u think this might work?
    Don't! The more restrictions you make, the fewer people you will get.

Most bulletin boards have 30-50 lurkers for every poster.

You seem to have a lot of rules. Why do you delete accounts if people don't post? Why so restrictive about people posting URLs?

News feeds is a great idea, also what about a links section?