User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Amaya??

Amaya should bethe official W3C's WYSIWYG editor
    http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

Hve U ever used it? can it compete with Dreamweaver??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well not in the near future but it has a major advantage if its the official editor.

Only time will tell
    Back Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Amaya is what I think it is, it's been around for a long time now. In fact, I think it was one of the W3C's original Web browser/Web editor innitiatives (the original plan was to allow any page to be viewed and edited), but it never caught on because other products like Netscape Navigator caught on more quickly.

I just took a quick look at Amaya and it seems like a decent free editor, but if you are familiar with Dreamweaver, Amaya lacks several features.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amaya's OK, especially considering the purchase price (free). The original W3C vision for the web was kind of a "universal canvas" to which everyone could contribute, and Amaya was/is a key part of that for prototyping the way things could be.

This leads to some quite neat and unconventional functionality - dual browser/editor, SVG support, strict XHTML output etc.

So in theory Amaya's a great idea but in practice it tends to be a bit buggy and crash-prone. It can't compete with any commercial WYSIWYG when it comes to page design. However for creating well-structured XHTML documents (e.g. for CMS content) it's good. And you can use it for design at a pinch - especially if the design's standards-compliant

One other thing about Amaya is that it's basically the only WYSIWYG to run on Linux
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amaya: hmmm

personally i love this browser/editor

not because it has all the bells and whistles (which it clearly does not) but because it keeps me on the straight and narrow

i have UD4 but always test my pages in Opera 5+ - NS4.7 - IE5+ - Lynx - AND AMAYA

the idea behind Amaya is that you can have a server side app that allows you to save straight back to the server (however this is not often used)

you can build directly in Amaya and it will do you the honour of being (IMHO) the best hard coder around (for all code editing i use Amaya)

if you have not tried it i would suggest at least considering it, the funniest thing i saw last year was to check a few sites in it - i felt so sorry for the Designer of Amazon (not checked recently) but it may still scroll down forever and a day!

cheers

Wicksie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that Amaya is a useful development tool. Amaya tends to crash on me so I don't use it for all my editing (HTML-Kit fills the need nicely), but Amaya is still one of my "must haves."