User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using a directory/resource script ques.

Hi -

I'm using IndexU to add a directory of resources on my web site. Here's my question: Is it ok/acceptable to add sites to it on my own that I feel are a good addition to the directory or do I need to solicit the webmaster to submit their resource on there own??

I sent out a mailing recently to sites I have relationships with (links already on my site somewhere else) but no one really responded! So I want to grow the directory on my own.

What do ya think? Thanks.

Josh

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's fine. Look at all the other search engines out there (google, yahoo) for an example, they don't ask permission.

And if they don't want to be linked on your website, they can ask to remove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are mailing the webmasters of all sites in your directory, even ones who you added yourself?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc -

Is your question phrased as a statement, as in that's what I should be doing?! Or are you just asking? Should I e-mail the webmasters of the sites I'm adding myself?

Josh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JCary
    Marc -

Is your question phrased as a statement, as in that's what I should be doing?! Or are you just asking? Should I e-mail the webmasters of the sites I'm adding myself?

Josh
    My site has been added to some webmaster resource directories by the site owners and they send me emails telling me that. I don't mind that.

However, you could get spam complaints. Unless you've a good relationship with your hosting firm or you're paying them tons of money each month , better not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc -

Josh
    It was a question, hence the question mark.

If I'm understanding you right, you're adding sites to your directory, even ones that didn't ask to be included, and then e-mailing all sites in your directory -- which includes those who were added by you. If this is the case, I wouldn't do it because of those sites who didn't request your mailings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received a follow-up email (telling me to convert to a paid listing) from the directory that listed me on their own - in ADDITION to their welcome email. Erm ... I might get pissed off one of these days if I'm in a bad mood. My advice? Better not

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Marc and Exit,

As of now, the script isn't even up and running yet, so I'm not adding any sites at this point. My original question was to ask when I have it up and running.

How about this approach: I'll add sites and not e-mail the owners (if they want to be removed I guess they can let me know). I also won't e-mail the site owners asking to upgrade to a paid listing [cough *spam*!].

My original question was basically is it ok to add sites to my directory - I don't see a problem with that.

Thanks for the input.

Josh

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider emailing owners (perhaps have a poll here about it).

I'm sure some of them would appreciate a quick 'You have been included in xyz search engine' email. Don't make it look or sound like spam, and don't send too many at once (one at a time as you add the sites, though you can get them to be sent programmatically if you want to as long as they are done one by one). Make sure to include your link in the mail and perhaps there'll be more traffic to your directory. Also include contact/remove links in case they want to change the information that is listed with their link or whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Marc and Exit,

My original question was basically is it ok to add sites to my directory - I don't see a problem with that.

Thanks for the input.

Josh
    Add mine PLEeaseee!