SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debate - Design Is Not Dead!

These comments are in regards to the SitePoint.com article 'Debate - Design Is Not Dead!'.

I think there is some confusion about the word "design". There are several definitions but these are my favorites:

1. To have as a goal or purpose; intend.
    2. To create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.

Keep in mind that "design" is not "art". A good design can certainly be considered art but design has different principles. Web design, and print design for that matter, are intended to convey a message. "We make the best soap", or something along those lines. Art is an expression of feeling, an exercise of the soul.

Many designers misinterpret these concepts. A am a web designer who migrated from print design. I went through the growing pains most artists experience when working with marketing professionals who steer the design. I felt like they were squashing my artistic spirit. But in essence what they were doing is defining the design and creating a message.

I see too many designs on the web that are based on: "Hey, take a look at this really cool site" rather than, "click on this, the information you were looking for is right here".

All that being said, a very well designed site does both.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.

Can I also make a side point about the definitions of design. People may or may not agree with me, but I'd like to point out that developing and building the back end for a complex web application to a client's brief is as much design as creating a pretty Flash movie. It's just a different type of design. The parameters aren't much different though.

G