User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Creating Mysql password

Hi
    I have created a password for mysql using mysql-front... it works fine in mysql-front....

But because I am learning Msql/Php using Kevin Yanks book I desided to use mysql dos prompt... with the following command... mysqladmin -u root -p status;(no prompt for a password I get the error 1064)

If I use the command... mysql> show databases;

I get a list of all databases.... this is without entering my password...

Help please Malc

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I am now finding that the localhost - root - password works in Mysql-front.. But when I enter the password in Mysql promt, the window closes and disappears???

I hope I get a response from someone .... please remember when you were all beginers!!!!This maybe a simple problem to you .. but not to me as a newbie...

thanks Malc
    after many hours of trying to sort this out and reading 5 darn books on the subject..... Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa tension breaker

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kevin Yanks Book.... Mysql Password????

Hi

I found alot of users in mysql-front... before deleting these I tried mysql prompt( the reason for this is because I am learning mysql/php by using a book by Kevin Yanks) and it worked ok... so I got rid of most of the users, leaving localhost - root - password and root - % ... mysql prompt still worked.....

But when I removed root - % and tried to access mysql via mysql prompt using command... mysql -h host -u user -p the mysql prompt opens with req for a password... I enter the password and the prompt closes or(dissapears)

Very strange indeed... but I feel sure one of you guys will put me right...right!!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I have sorted the problem

Thanks to you all for your help

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I have sorted this 2

Thanks for all your help
    Malc

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have put your threads together as they are very similar. In future try to keep to one thread

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Sure thing
    Funny though the only reply I got to my problem as a newby to mysql/php is this one

But for all the newbies ... that are frustrated like myself... I would like to add the following...

Basically it was my lack of experience with mysql, php, dos prompt and command lines...

So I had to learn some basic commands for dos prompt

1. start - run- enter(dosprmpt)- Ok to open dosprompt

2. The cd command to change directories e.g

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>cd C:\FoxServ\mysql\bin... opens...

C:\FoxServ\mysql\bin>

3. Then C:\FoxServ\mysql\bin>mysql to open mysql...
    4. Or C:\FoxServ\mysql\bin>mysqladmin opens mysqladmin... you have to close mysql if you was using mysql first..

Now I know this is very basic for some of you on this forum .... but let me add that I have 5 books on mysql and php(1 being Kevin Yanks's) and not one of them covers this basic dos stuff....

I am sure there will be alot of newbies like myself who have probably had the same problems and Have little or no experience with command lines and dos promt and they need this to enter mysql moniter or prompt...

Cheers Malc

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by malc
    Funny though the only reply I got to my problem as a newby to mysql/php is this one
    It can take a little while to get answers in this forum (Files, Databases and XML), just be patient

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might I suggest phpMyAdmin? It is a free GUI for MySQL, so you don't have to use the command line.
    I started out with Kevin's book, and used this GUI from the beginning on without any problems, everything is pretty straightforward and easy to comprehend. You might find it useful .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    It can take a little while to get answers in this forum (Files, Databases and XML), just be patient

Ok fair point ;>)

Mark T.
    Thanks for the info... I am actually using FoxServ and mysql-front and touchwood all seems ok...

The reason why I am trying to use mysql moniter is because I feel it will give me a better understanding of the mysql code...

Cheers Malc